SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
pammyfay

opinion on gas station pump situation?

pammyfay
14 years ago

Today I decided to run out to do 2 errands; unfortunately, it was during the early evening rush, and drivers were just crazy.

It was a 3-strike outing; I'm still not completely defused by all that happened, so allow me to vent:

(1) A taxi cab decided "Yield" means "barrel on through" and nearly walloped me in the passenger side, and when I swung away from him--traffic was light there--I was no longer in that turn-only lane I'd planned, and needed, to be in. ARRGH!

(2) A moped/light motorcycle-riding young person whips around me, on the right, in a single lane at the shopping center as I slow to a stop to let 2 pedestrians cross (it was starting to get dark, and that was really a dangerous situation). I honked the horn at the moped person, he/she turned and I went on to get a parking space. I gather my things in the car and turn to get out and -- surprise -- the bike rider is at my left, wanting to give me a peace of her mind ("You don't have to honk at people--I knew what I was doing!"). I said a few words ("Did you SEE those pedestrians? You were in such a hurry you could have killed them! I certainly hope you know what you're doing.") and walked off (all the while thinking I'd probably have 4 flat tires later, but thank goodness that didn't happen). A stalker! What is with people who do that? ARRGH!

So then I go to the gas station, and here's where I need your opinion. I swiped my credit card, put the pump in, flipped the lever, clicked... and nothing. The guy on the other side of the bay--same thing. Another guy at a different bay, same thing, I wonder, are they out of gas? There are some covers on other pumps... We start to walk to the window, an employee says "We're out of regular gas--do you want premium instead?" Uh, no. I'm not made of money!

Now I'm worried: I swiped my MasterCard, so I figure my account number is still in the system, even tho not a drop went into the tank.

What do you think happens when they get their delivery and the pumps start working again? How certain can you be that the computer knows that my "sale" (of $0) is over and done? I really don't want to see a $50+ charge next month; I don't see how I could really challenge it successfully--no receipt could be printed out.

I'm thinking of going over to the station (just around the corner from where I live) tomorrow morning to talk to the owner/manager to make sure I have nothing to worry about.

Do you think the computer can be trusted?

(The lesson of this quick-errand-trip: When the first errand goes badly, traffic-wise or whatever, turn around and go home. I've followed that rule before; I need to listen to my instinct!)

Comments (5)