SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
kyle13_gw

Serious Digging problem for new house

kyle13
14 years ago

Hello everyone. I am new to this board and I have a serious question for everyone.

I am currently building my first house on a lot that is on a man made lake in cleveland ohio. This lot is in a neighborhood that is about 50 years old but this particular lot has never been built on because the house across the street bought it to preserve their view of the lake. Anyways, I went throught all the planning stages and got all of the permits and everything like that. Well, yesterday they started to dig. This house that I'm building has a walk out basement to it. When they started digging yesterday, towards the rear of the house, they ended up having to dig about 6 feet further then they wanted too just to find clay. It was all top soil above that. Does anyone know if this is a common problem? I guess the obvious solution could just be to put in an extremely large footer that goes from the clay all the way up to the bottom of the house. Has this happened to anyone before? Does anyone know of any other solutions and how much this might cost?

Thanks a lot in advance.

Comments (7)