SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
newtogreen

Going against recommendation on our crawl space insulation?

NewToGreen
11 years ago

We are in the process of building a large home. It will now have to have a crawlspace, and therefore we are doing an enclosed crawl space underneath. That being said, this means there will be spray foam insulation in the crawlspace and I am requesting that it also be sprayed underneath the floor boards above - in other words, spray foam up underneath what is the hardwood floor of the first floor.

The recommendation is NOT to do this, because of the temperate body of air that will enhance the energy concept of the house, which is being built with ICFs. Not to mention everyone deems it highly unnecessary.

HOWEVER, our reasoning has nothing to do with that. We had a brown recluse infestation previously in our last home, and admittedly have an extreme view now on "tight" construction. We own up to our irrationality on this but until you have been through that, you cannot fathom that experience. We look at the spray foam under the floorboards as yet another barrier we can do in an effort to not have that horrific problem ever, ever again. If it means paying a few more dollars in heating/cooling bills each month, so be it.

My question is this - my HVAC guy, energy guy and builder are not recommending this. I would love to hear pros and cons of the true impact of spray foaming under the floorboards. I will have solid hardwood on the first floor (some carpet, not much) and the enclosed crawlspace will have a dehumidifier and not be part of the HVAC system. The entire crawl will be ICF construction with no vents/holes to the outside other than the lone access entrance.

Thanks very much for any discussion that will enlighten me on this!

Comments (8)