SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
zver11

Insulating inaccessible crawl space

zver11
7 years ago

I had a kitchen extension added on 2x12 by 25ft engineered beams extending the kitchen out into a breezeway using the breezeway's existing footings. Breezeway had existing slab floor which was sagging. I had polyurethane foam pumped to fill and lift the slab level.
The problem is the contractor doing the kitchen did not insulate under the floor extension. The 2x12 floor joists rest on the sill plates leaving a 1.5" space over the slab (but over 13" space slab to subfloor between joists. The floor gets quite cold in the winter since outside air flows through the breezeway both through the breezeway wall and uninsulated outside side walls under the extension .
Blowing in cellulose is doable but any moisture that gets in the area could rot the beams/subfloor. I am thinking of pumping in slow set polyurethane foam (similar to used to fill existing walls--not spray foam). No practical way that I can think of to put insulation high against the floor unless I use enough to fill all the way down(expensive) and, even then, since it has some flow, I am not sure that it will not leave an air gap at top.
Any experience with this or options?

Comment (1)

Sponsored
CHC & Family Developments
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Industry Leading General Contractors in Franklin County, Ohio