SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
sbm321

Have you had extreme nerve pain from teeth grinding?

Sueb20
14 years ago

I have not had a good week! About a week ago, a little longer actually, a tooth on my bottom left started hurting. It's the last tooth in the back, and it has a large (old) filling in it so I knew it was a candidate for having a crown put on. I've had a few already on other teeth. I grind my teeth periodically, usually when stressed out about something but not always. I've had some minor pain from it in my jaw in the past, but not enough to be diagnosed with TMJ.

When this started, I figured the tooth was hurting from grinding my teeth, because I could tell I'd been doing it (while sleeping) from the way my jaw felt in the morning. At that point, only the one tooth was hurting, and not too badly. I went through the weekend with the tooth aching a bit on and off. Since Monday, though, it was getting worse and the pain was moving along my jawline toward my chin. For some reason, it's worse at night. I finally went to the dentist on Wed. and told him the story, and he took an x-ray. No sign of abcess/infection or decay, but the root of the tooth was close to the nerve and that was probably the cause of the pain. And p.s. yes, I do need a crown but this seems unrelated. He gave me a prescription for a painkiller "stronger than Advil and lasts longer" and made an appt. for a crown in a couple of weeks.

Since then, the pain has gotten worse, not so bad during the day but from about 4 pm on, it's awful. I think this is the worst pain I've ever had, or maybe it just feels extra bad because it's facial pain? The pills the dentist gave me do not help one bit, and Tylenol and Advil don't help either. I have leftover pain pills from surgery last week, so I just took one of those and am hoping it will help because I haven't been able to sleep well at all. I called the dentist this afternoon but they closed early so I left a message, hoping they will call back tomorrow -- they have office hours on Sat. mornings.

I'm just wondering if anyone has had something like this, and if it went away eventually!? My dentist said it could last a week or longer. It seems to be getting worse instead of better, though. The pain runs along my jaw line from the area under my last tooth, up to and under my chin. Even my bottom front teeth are aching. Heat or cold helps -- I tend to alternate between them, more with heat because it seems more soothing. But as soon as my 'Bucky' (microwaveable heating pad) cools off, I have to heat it up again ASAP.

Has anyone experienced this? any advice??

Comments (32)