SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
hzdeleted_16331601

My meditation practice

User
11 years ago

Annie asked me to share some of my thoughts on my practice, how it has impacted my life and what I find compelling about group practice.

Everyone just left our home a few minutes ago. We started having a small 1/2 day group retreat in our home the end of January. This was our second retreat. We begin at 8:45 AM with a 15 minute orientation. We then begin the silent part of our retreat. We alternate sitting for 40 minutes with walking 25 minutes then another 40 min. sit and one more walking meditation. We have a 5 minute break between. We have a one hour vegetarian lunch. We then resume sitting for 40 minutes and then have a one hour taped dharma talk. At that point it is 2:15 PM or so and the talking resumes with a discussion of the dharma talk and a review of the retreat.

We have discussed why we all like to meditate with others . It is a common feeling that "good vibes" are generated when we sit with others. There is a feeling of resonance in the room when you sit in silence with others. We do all of our sitting in our great room upstairs. We sold most of the furniture last year. We have cushions and shawls for those that don't have their own. There is a cumulative effect generated in a room when it is used for meditation. We feel it when we go elsewhere to sit in groups.

I would suggest that you try it and see. I think if you open yourself to the experience you will find your meditation practice enhanced.

How has meditation changed me and why do I meditate ? I began meditating in September 2010. It was one of the most stressful periods in my and my DH's life. I have since talked to many others who meditate and asked what brought them to it. Pema Chodron, a Buddhist nun, was experiencing a traumatic personal time when she began to meditate. She has written of this in her books. I needed relief from the mental pain that I was experiencing. I didn't know how to get to a point where I could step back and look at it in a calm way. My DH had been meditating for a few years. He helped me to sit each day, introduced me to recorded dharma talks and we attended group meetings.

The most fundamental change that takes place with meditation is being able to get into that tiny space between when something happens and your reaction to it. This is "it"....that is all there is. Well...there is more but if one is trying to summarize the benefits of meditation this is "it".

Pema Chodron calls her book " Don't bite the hook", We all are a product of our pasts...you can't change what has happened. What you can change is your reaction to what happens next. With a calm and alert mind one can concentrate on one's breath and find the mental space to allow one perspective. Awareness comes and instead of letting the tape continue to play the same movie over and over you insert a new action..a new awareness...

It has been documented that when you react differently to a situation than the way you have always done you forge a new path in the brain. Over time it becomes the path.

Have I succeeded in this ? Well some days...some times...not always :) Am I working on it...always. It is called practice for a reason.

At present my practice consists of the following. I get up several days a week and sit alone from 4 AM - 6 AM. DH and I sit together every day in the late afternoon..usually about 4:30 PM. Every Wed at 6 PM we have others come to our home to meditate . On the 1 st and 3 rd Sat. we go to a group meditation at our church. Let me interject here that meditation is secular. There is no religion involved. It is a path that one follows to allow the mind to think clearly. That is what Vipassana means...seeing in various ways, strong seeing..or seeing clearly. There is no element of religion. It is a scientific investigation and examination of yourself. You just observe closely every thing that comes to you and is happening to you in your body and mind at the present moment. Once a year we attend a 10 day silent retreat, for us that is in Feb. our wedding anniversary . Our personal celebration. This year will be 42 years together. This is my 2nd 10 day retreat.

Annie made the comment that she couldn't be silent for a day much less 10 days. my answer to that is...you don't eat the whole sandwich at once...nor do you run the whole marathon at once. One step at a time..one breath at time. Don't think of it as meditation for hours or days. At first I too was sure I would be overwhelmed at a 10 day retreat. My friends made not so subtle remarks about my ability..or not ..to sit quietly for an hour much less 14 1/2 hours per day. We get up at 4 AM and end our day at 9 :30 PM. There are breaks and 2 meals. We sit for 45 min. sessions for a total of 14 1/2 hrs per day for 10 days.

It was a gift to myself and my life and my family. I didn't want to leave. To be able to immerse yourself in silence , in contemplation. To have others look out for your basic needs and ask nothing in return. What a gift. I came away with a wonderful sense of self and accomplishment. There is no way to explain what happens at retreat. Each person takes away something different just as we each bring a different past to retreat.

I will link to the dharma talk we listened to today. One hour is all you need . Listen and if any of you want to talk about it please do email me. I would be glad to share and send along info on Vipassana retreats or more talks etc. Anything that will help you to begin to practice or enhance your current practice. c

Here is a link that might be useful: Don't get caught...

Comments (16)