SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
krislrob_gw

Cabinet Nightmare!!! LONG

krislrob
16 years ago

After doing all the research I could on cabinets by visiting showrooms, talking to kitchen designers, meeting with a different kitchen designer, we made a decision to buy our cabinets from buycabinets.com. All the bids were for all plywood construction. The first salesperson I had left mid-stream and was replaced by a second guy. Anyway, I had several comparable (I thought) bids and buycabinets seemed to have a good product at a good price for the all plywood construction. I told the salesperson, if this is the price for all plywood, let's do it. He said they were. The cabinets arrived and they are mdf. Not only that but instead of veneer on the face of the cabinets behind the doors, they have what looks like cheap plastic stripping. I have looked at cabinets from Omega to Schuler and even tract house cabinets and NO ONE does this cheap plastic stripping. When I heard from my DH that the cabinets were mdf, I about croaked. I came home, went through my bids and it said "solid this, solid that" and I said "whew, they made the mistake, so we can send these back."

I provided the supervisor with the previous quotes I had from them that said all plywood construction and the email I was able to locate that talked about all plywood construction, as well discussing the numerous verbal discussions I had with both salespeople and now they are basically saying "tough luck."

I am absolutely sick to my stomach. This is such a huge mistake and I made the decision to buy these cabinets instead of the Brookwood cabinets. I should say that I have purchased many things off the internet and have had very good results so I felt very comfortable about buying my cabinets on the internet, but I really blew it this time. In fact, I purchased my front doors from Southern Front Doors based upon what another person here said and they were absolutely perfect.

To top everything off, now it's raining cats and dogs, my worksite is a huge mudhole and I can't even get to the house to make sure everything is dry or to put straw around the perimeter of the house so I don't have mud on my new stucco. The stucco color is about half done and the roof is papered and the tile is stacked on top. It's most likely dry, but it's frustrating to not be able to get to the house right now.

Thanks for letting me vent. I wanted (like others) to be in for Xmas which isn't going to happen and I don't even know where to start with this cabinet debacle. One thing for certain. Be VERY careful when dealing with these people. I feel like this was a bait and switch tactic, I purchased an inferior product and I wouldn't want this to happen to anyone else.

Comments (15)