SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
parsonse1

Should I upgrade to all brick or stick with Hardie?

Beth Parsons
11 years ago

The estimates for Hardie materials, labor and required paint job is coming in higher than anticipated. Because our area is absolutely booming with new construction, trades aren't hurting for business and the days of low bids seem to be long gone.

My builder is going to get a hard bid on finishing the house with brick/Hardie shake on the front gables instead off all Hardie lap siding to see where we'd be if we took that route. We're thinking it would be an additional $5,000 to $7,000 to brick it and in return we'd get a virtually maintenance free exterior that will utimately appraise higher.

I'm afraid, however, that going all brick will ruin the farmhouse/cottage/country look that we're going for. I want my house to be one where guests drive up and immediately have the urge to come inside and curl up on the couch next to the fireplace - homey and welcoming. Brick homes have always seemed so formal to me though I love their classic and timeless nature. Plus we are surrounded by new developments that consist of large, beautiful all brick homes. I'd like to stand out a bit... :)

I would love some opinions/input here! We sit on 6 acres with lots of trees in the front yard and have an existing sided detached garage that we intend to paint the same color as the main house. We aren't in a development and don't have to worry about pleasing neighbors or an HOA - only ourselves. :)

Side of house with 8' deep wrap around porch.

Side of house that faces our circular driveway and most visible to the public/road.

This is pic from the earlier stanges of framing but it's the only one I have that shows the relationship of the detached garage to the new house.

Comments (16)