SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
dreambuilder_gw

Energy Star Rated Home Question

11 years ago

We moved into a new construction energy rated home 5 years ago. When we moved in, I would set the temp to 70 and we would be comfortable in the MN winter. Now I have it at 72 and it is still very cold/chilly upstairs and basically not livable in the basement. I run an electric heater and wear several layers and a blanket to be down there. This is why I'm considering ICF and or spray foam for our next house--inexcusable to have an entire floor basically unusable?! Thoughts on why this is happening? Did building materials settle or I'm guessing batts installed incorrectly so it passed the initial inspection and is now not up to energy rated status?

I also have a large amount of condensation on several of our Anderson 400 series windows on the bottom--I called the place that sold the windows and they told me it was normal and to crack a window and that would dissipate (but should I really be expected to crack a window daily in the winter?). I also take off one of the cranks and it is open to outside if that makes sense so I remove the crank cover portion and can see outside if the window is open--is this supposed to be sealed somehow?

Comments (9)