SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
sbm321

Crazy problem -- my dishwasher is STUCK in place

Sueb20
12 years ago

I will seek any help I can get, and this group is always surprising with your depth and breadth of knowledge -- so here goes! Maybe one of you can help!

Our kitchen was reno'd about 5 years ago and the DW we installed was actually the same one we had in the old kitchen, so the good news is that this DW is about 14 years old, not 5 years old. You'll see in a minute why this is good news.

The spring on the DW door sprung last week. DD opened the door, we all heard a loud POP, and boom, the door now flops open FAST whenever we open it. It's kind of dangerous. So, I called the appliance repairman and he came out a couple of days later. Normally, you know, we'd just pull out the DW and fix it. But. The DW will NOT roll out. It won't budge. It is situated in the island, with the sink and sink-base cabinet on the left, and a cabinet end panel on the left. There are no screws holding it in place anywhere along the front edges of the machine. For example, my neighbor's DW has a screw and some kind of bracket on either side of the front of the DW. Not here. Nothing. In fact, you can wiggle it a bit from side to side, but somewhere, seems like in the back of the machine, it is STUCK inside its space. The repairman tried for about an hour, could not move it. DH came home that night and he also tried everything he could think of, and it will not move. WTH???

I tried to leave a message for the guy whose company installed the kitchen -- just to say hey, was there something funky about the way you installed the DW? I suspect he may not know, because he was not on site all that much. Anyway, so far he hasn't responded.

At this point, we are thinking what we may have to do is have someone (who? the repairman? who do you call for this?) come in there and literally take the darn DW apart to get it out of there, and get a new DW. This is why I said it's "good news" that it's 14 years old and not relatively new.

Does anyone have other ideas?? I talked to the architect who designed the space because he is a friend, and he said the only thing he can think of is, if the DW was in place when they installed the counters (I can't remember), some of the glue may have dripped down. Who knows! The whole thing is just bizarre and annoying.

Comments (26)

Sponsored
Hope Restoration & General Contracting
Average rating: 4.7 out of 5 stars35 Reviews
Columbus Design-Build, Kitchen & Bath Remodeling, Historic Renovations