SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
mdmomof3_gw

Appraisal issue..

mdmomof3
15 years ago

Not sure what to do.. This is the first house we've ever built and we are getting a construction to perm loan. We were supposed to close this week but now it looks like it is not happening anytime soon. The issue is the appraisal (bank) for the lot and the house (based on floorplans) will be less than our cost. So at the end of construction, IF we stay on budget, we are looking at paying 59k. The bank is trying to reassure me that next year, when the house is actually done, it will appraise for at least cost. But I'm not sure I really want to take this risk. I can definately lower costs by scrutinizing every purchase (we are doing a cost plus set fee), bidding on ebay, etc. I know my GC put a lot of fluff in the estimate sheet he sent to the bank but I am not sure how much room there will be after all "incidental overages". But should I say something to my GC? Should I get him to rebid some of the subs? Or should I just get ready to actually work hard to find the best price on the items I can reasonably buy on my own (ie plumbing fixtures, lights, fans, etc). Has anyone else had this problem and did it work out?

Please tell me yes...

Comments (10)