SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
girlsingardens

I know its off topic but good wishes needed

girlsingardens
16 years ago

I have been trying to post since yesterday afternoon but can't get the posts to come through. If you remember my SIL was due in January and went in to be induced yesterday because her doctor is going on Vacation Friday.

My sil had her little boy yesterday afternoon. They induced in the morning and after 2 hours she had an epidural. Each time she would have a contraction the baby's heart rate would go down. They progressed with the delivery. Near pushing time everytime she had a contraction the baby would go back up in the canal and the heart rate would drop. They did an episiotomy and suction to get the baby out. He came out and had meconioum in his mouth and lungs and the cord was wrapped so tight around his neck they had to cut it off. He wasn't crying or moving but after suction they got him crying. They were also concerned because he was so pale white and have had him on an iv since yesterday when he was born at 5:17. Her due date was tomorrow but he only weighed 5 pounds 7 ounces and they aren't sure how long he had been without oxygen. I am hoping for the best. They named him Aiden Roger Almquist.

So if you could spare a minute for a prayer or warm thought I would appreciate it.

Thank you,

Stacie

Comments (41)

• annie1992
    16 years ago

Stacie, I'm sorry to hear that the little guy is having such a bad time joining us in this world. You know my thoughts and prayers are with him, and all his family.

Annie

• lindac
    16 years ago

Of course little Aiden will be in my prayers!! And his parents as well...
    Linda C

• Related Discussions

A bit off topic but i need your input....

Q

Comments (6)
    WOW EVERYONE! THANK YOU VERY MUCH FOR YOUR INPUT! PLEASE KEEP IT COMING! HAS ANYONE TRIED GRAPHITE PENCIL? I HEAR THEY ARE SUPPOSED TO LAST IN OUTDOOR WEATHER TOO? ANYONE HAVE SUCESS? I HAVE BOUGHT AN ENGRAVER FOR MY METAL TAGS, BUT THROUGH TIME THEY BECOME UNREADABLE AND NOT TO MENTION MYHAND DIES QUICKLY WHILE DOING THIS,LOL. SO I AM SEARCHING FOR A BETTER WAY. I THOUGH MAYBE THESE IMPRESSION STICKERS/LABELS WOULD WORK. oNE KIND GENTILEMAN SAID HE TRIED THOSE AND THEY HAVE LASTED HIM 1 YEAR SO FAR. tHE JUST NEED TO BE PRESSED ON FIRMLY. iM SURE IT HAS SOMETHING TO DO WITH A SURFACE TOO AS THEY WERE TOUGH TO GET TO MY METAL PLANT TAGS BUT AFTER USING SOMETHING HARD UNDERNEATH TO APPLY WITH FORCE THEY HAVE STUCK. SO NOW I AM JUST WANTING TO HEAR WHAT OTHER PEOPLE HAVE TO SAY ABOUT THEIR EFFORTS WITH THESE THINGS. HAVE A WONDERFUL DAY! MELISSA
    ...See More

I know this is off topic, so I will keep this short

Q

Comments (14)
    Well the harsh part of me immediately thinks "food chain". I mean if the hawk wants the doves then he needs to accept the risk that he might get swallowed by a maniac. The only thing I can think is to maybe put a bell on the door. It might at least give the hawk a head start. Depends on how fast your maniac is. We had one "bird" dog that routinely nabbed birds out of mid-air. She never caught anything as large as a hawk though (she would've been so proud of herself).
    ...See More

off topic -- no good deed goes unpunished...

Q

Comments (8)
    GGG -- That's a really good idea! I have a notebook with those plastic, looseleaf sheets for organizing 3x5 or 4x6 photos. They are about the right size for storing plant tags. (Although Monrovia ones have to be cut off at the bottom a little to fit.) If I get a lousy tag with very little detail from wherever, I still put it in there (so I can remember where I bought the plant), but I try to go online and print out whatever details I find there. Then, I fold it and put it behind the tag in the plastic sheet. It's not very pretty, but for most of the plants in my yard, I have some info. I also have a section for fertilizers I've used in the past. It is hard to remember the formula I like for a particular kind of plant (and I can never remember which number of the three is which). Walter Reeves has some kind of Saturday Night Fever dance that he uses to show people how to remember the numbers, but I still can't recall it when I need to! :)
    ...See More

Pollen stain--how to get it out--Off Topic--I know!

Q

Comments (9)
    Tell your friend to go to the Laundry Room. You can find it here at the Garden Web under Home Forums. If you think people here get into heated arguments about hostas- you ain't seen nothing yet! Caliloo (Alexa) told me about it once. You can learn about anything laundry as well as whether top loaders are better than front loaders. There was an ongoing argument about the merits of both. I think it had at least 100 comments. I can't remember the last time I laughed that loud! Teresa Here is a link that might be useful: Laundry Room
    ...See More
  • wizardnm
    16 years ago

So sorry to hear that, he's in my prayers.

Maybe good that the Dr. was in a hurry.

Nancy

• mjrdolfan
    16 years ago

Stacy

We all take for granted that childbirth will be a simple, easy, no brainer...Times like these we have to take a moment and realize that it truly is a miracle.

Our thoughts and prayers are with you and your family.

• centralcacyclist
    16 years ago

That's just awful. Poor little fellow. I'm sending positive outcome thoughts to his wee soul.

Eileen

• doucanoe
    16 years ago

Oh dear. Of course I will send the little guy my very best!

How is your sister in law doing? Any complications for her?

Hugs and good wishes going out to the whole family!

Linda

• pkramer60
    16 years ago

Sending good thougts out for the little one and his Mom, Dad and extended family.

• compumom
    16 years ago

Thinking loads of good and positive thoughts for little Aiden and sending strength and positive thoughts to Mom, Dad and your family.

• dedtired
    16 years ago

Wishing the best for the little guy. Please let us know how he's doing.

• maggie2094
    16 years ago

Stacy, thank god they induced when they did. Prayers for baby boy Aiden.

I wouldn't worry too much about the weight. I had a full-term stillborn son and he was 9 lb 4 oz - what they call a cord accident.

I am glad he is here and wishing him all the fighting strength! Babies are so resilient.

Lots of hugs and love. Need a tissue...

• User
    16 years ago

Stacie all my best thoughts for the little darling, Mom and Dad too. I'm betting on Aiden. 5 pounds 7 isn't terrible, Meredith was a little less than that and was a fire craker from the "get go".

If the medical staff have not had a serious conversation with Mom and Dad by now chances are he's fine. Rough start for him for sure but he's on to a great life.

Hugs to you all...

PS: Love the name Aiden.

• lyndaluu2
    16 years ago

Stacie you and family and Aiden for in our prayers.

Linda

• shaun
    16 years ago

Aw man! Sending thoughts and prayers.

• jcrowley99
    16 years ago

Our thoughts and prayers are with you and your family. Please let us know how Aiden is doing. And your SIL, it sounds like the birth was hard for her.

• woodie
    16 years ago

I'm thinking positive thoughts for baby Aiden.

• mustangs81
    16 years ago

Prayers going up for Aiden and mommy. That is sad.

I am hoping for a positive update Stacie.

Cathy

• hawk307
    16 years ago

Stacie: I have to go to my wifes Prayer Group Tommorrow for a presentation.
    His name will be in the Prayer Box tommorrow.
    He will be OK,
    LOU

• annalchyu
    16 years ago

girlsingardens,

My ds was born a few days before my due date, and he weighed only 5 lbs 10 ounces. He had swallowed meconium, and also had pneumothorax. He spent some time in the NICU, and we were worried because he did not beathe right away, and a whole team of drs had to rush in to get him intubated and the fluid out.

Well, now at 4 he is sassy and too bright for his own good.

My prayers are with the baby and his parents.

ALC

• lackboys3
    16 years ago

Stacie, I'm sending lots of wishes for healing to your SIL and new baby Aiden. Lots of miracles and wonderful things are happening in the neonatal ICU these days. My son Sam spent his first 4 days of life in there. Hugs to you and your family too!
    DONNA

• booberry85
    16 years ago

Stacie, I'm so sorry to hear little Aiden had such a rough start. Sending positive thoughts your way,

Becky

• earthlydelights
    16 years ago

stacie

positive thoughts and prayers for everyone.

maryanne

• msazadi
    16 years ago

Prayers for little Aiden and some thriving energy. A sweet kiss across the ether too. Maureen

• girlsingardens
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Update added:

We went down and saw my new nephew Aiden. What a little cutie. He is in the nursery full time and has an IV in his poor little head running all the time. This evening though they finally got to put him into his mama's room so that is good news. They left the port in his head just in case they need to use it again. The funny thing is that he looks just like Hayden, the two can be twins. He is eating like a good little hungry man at least every two hours like crazy. My DB was only able to wheel him by the window to see him but boy is he handsome little bug.

I feel for my sil, her mom is totally mean and driving her nuts and is no help at all. She was going to stay for a month to help out, and with the babies problems she will need the extra help but out of the blue said good bye last night and no one has seen her since. My sil overcompensates by saying that she will just figure it out on her own. She hasn't been around babies and only has 2 weeks maternity leave, 2 days gone already. I hope to go down on Sunday when they get home and snuggle that baby.

I will post a pic in a new post when DH gets the pics downloaded.

Stacie

• centralcacyclist
    16 years ago

Two weeks maternity leave! WHAT! What draconian employer does she work for? That's outrageous.

Your poor SIL, I know what it's like to have a mom who is more trouble than help with a capricious temperament. I'm sure you will be loads of much needed help.

Thanks for the update. I went through a similar delivery with my son, each contraction made his heart rate drop, he hadn't aspirated meconium but he was covered in it and the cord was wrapped around his neck a few times. He's fine, in gifted classes and full of teen nonsense now. Babies are amazing.

• Nancy
    16 years ago

That sounds good, hope things go well.
    Two weeks maternity leave? Wow. I thought it was a fed law to allow 12 weeks of maternity leave. She must work for a small business, that law might only apply for larger companies. That stinks though!

• Cloud Swift
    16 years ago

Glad to hear that things are looking up - it is still a hard thing to go through.

I've never heard of two weeks maternity leave - I thought they had to allow at least 6 though for one I got my employer to let me take 3 weeks off and then do 6 weeks half time instead of the 6 weeks.

• Daisyduckworth
    16 years ago

It seems like this little man is a tough cookie, and I'm sure he'll do very well in his life.

2 weeks' maternity leave?? Gee, here in Australia women get 12 months! Unpaid of course, but they also get a government grant for each baby - I think it's just gone up to $4000.

• netla
    16 years ago

I hope the little guy will be okay. My father nearly got strangled by the umbilical cord when he was born, but has never shown any sign of having suffered because of it.

Two weeks of maternity leave is just barbaric. In my part of the world new mothers have a right to three months leave on full pay for each baby, as does the father, and then an additional three months they can split between them as they wish. Some of my friends have taken even longer maternity leaves on reduced pay. There is talk of gradually lengthening the maternity leave up to a year.

• chancesmom
    16 years ago

So glad to read your update. Your family will be in thoughts and prayers.

• arabellamiller
    16 years ago

I went back to work after 3 weeks and even though it was part time, it really sucked.

I'll be thinking about little Aiden and his mom.

AM

• girlsingardens
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Well we got to see Aiden yesterday. He is still in the nursery on an IV while we were there. But last night they keept the IV needle in last night but he got to spend the night in the nursery. He is doing pretty good. My DB is young and trusting and hasn't really asked any questions about what is going on but baby looks good and is breastfeeding like a hungry monster:)

Here are some quick pics of My dear baby brother Casey and his son Aiden.... Casey is 11 years younger than me and will always be my baby brother, now he is a daddy:)

Stacie

PS the really funny thing is except for the cleft in Hayden's chin Aiden and Hayden look like they could be twins when Hayden was born. Here is a pic of Hayden when he was born. Hayden only weighed 7 more ounces than Aiden and was the same length.

Here is a baby pic of Hayden to compare

Stacie

As for the maternity leave, she just started a job and is only working 2 jobs, both part time so can't afford to take the time off without pay. I wish I lived closer than and hour and a half and I would take that baby and babysit in a heartbeat.

• caliloo
    16 years ago

Best wishes to your SIL and family. I can't believe any company would only offer 2 weeks of maternity - that is really awful.

Keeping them all n my prayers.

Alexa

• sally2_gw
    16 years ago

What a beautiful baby. I only weighed 4 lbs. something ounces, (don't remember exactly) when I was born, had to be in an incubator, but I think I turned out okay. Funny, that's about the only time I've been underweight in my life, lol.

It's a good sign that he's breast feeding so well. I wish the best for him and his mommy and daddy.

Sally

• User
    16 years ago

Stacey, sounds like Aiden is doing okay. Sending good thoughts his way.

There is something fundamentally very very wrong when a mother has to go back to work within two weeks of giving birth. In Canada maternity leave is 12 months and paid through unemployment. And the time can be shared between mother and father. Not sure how that works if the person hasn't worked long enough to receive unemployment but I'd be surprised if any company expected a mother to come back to work in two weeks.

Ann

• rosecmd
    16 years ago

Wow...her doctor will probably not clear her to return to work after two weeks, her body is not recovered from childbirth. Not to mention, who will care for the baby? I do understand that she needs the $$, can her husband get a second or third job so she can stay home until recovered and it's safe to leave the baby with someone else? A two week old baby is not supposed to be exposed to outside germs...glad to hear Aiden is doing better.

• hawk307
    16 years ago

Stacie: What an ugly baby !!! Don't say that !!!!!!!!
    I'm only joking.

Well. I put Aiden's name in the Prayer Box today.
    at the Woman's prayer group.

I told you he would be OK , didn't I.
    Lou

• jcrowley99
    16 years ago

He is so cute, so is your son's picture. If he is feeding well then he should be fine, it is when a newborn can't feed that you really need to worry. I'm glad he is doing so well. My husband was shocked that your SIL only get two week maternity leave. He is an IT manager at a major bank (a hiring position so he is very familiar with all the HR stuff for interview purposes as well as his own employees needs) and he thought that by law women were entitled to more leave than that. His bank offers 12 weeks paid maternity leave, and 1 week paid paternity leave. I hope she can find some way to be home longer, it would be so hard on her to go back to work 2 weeks after giving birth, not to mention how difficult it would be to be separated from her baby so quickly. We will keep praying for them!

• san_
    16 years ago

who could resist sending their best wishes to little aiden and his family? poor little thing! i'm very glad to hear there has been improvement and hope the worry will end soon!

as far as the maternity leave goes, FMLA is required of employers with 50 or more employees and to be a covered employee, you must be full time and have worked at least 1250 hours in the preceeding 12 months. there may be one or two other provisions but that's the basic outline of the law. if you think your SIL's company is not in compliance with this law stacie, send me a note. best wishes to you and yours!

• girlsingardens
    Original Author
    16 years ago

San,

SIL just started working this January at the bank and is only working part time as it is. She had been working 2 other jobs all part time in addition to this one so I know she is exhausted.

Good news is that baby and mommy get to go home today already. I bet they are ready for the time to be out of the hospital. I just hope that someone can stay and help out for awhile. My mom stayed with my sis and I with our 2 c=sections each for about a month. And let me tell you that was heaven.(don't ask Dan what he thought of it:) But since she is a daughter in law she is afraid to offer to stay.She offered to stay in the hospital overnight to change diapers, and give a pacifier or sugar water to hold out feedings a little bit ( I know it was great when she did this for me) but my SIL promptly announced that she would figure it out and handle everything on her own. I know that when I came home mom was there to help, added to that with Hayden I had 6 weeks bed rest and a 2 and 4 year old that wanted to help) But I cried like a baby when it was time for her to go home. It was so nice having another adult there. My brother works Construction and works 60 hour weeks so won't be able to be at home. And now my sil's mom who was going to stay and help will be flying home on Monday leaving Becky at home alone with the baby, her first and she reaaly doesn't have a clue, not ever being one to be around babiies at all. Just knowing the maternal instict will pop up and help matters out.

Stacie

• booberry85
    16 years ago

What a cutie and a tough little fighter too! Glad to hear how he is progressing. Still sending positive thoughts for Momma & Aiden.

Boo

• User
    16 years ago

That is good news.

Stacie, stop worrying so much. I'm sure that SIL and baby Aiden will do fine on their own.

In fact not everyone wants to have their mother or someone else around to help. I know I didn't. We lived in Grand Rapids, MI when Matthew was born and a week after his birth Moe started a new job back in Toronto. He came home on the weekends but I was alone during the week and I loved it. That lasted for about 7 or 8 weeks until we moved to Toronto. The only thing I had to do was care for Matthew and myself. I put myself on the same schedule as Matthew. If he slept so did I. Babies aren't that difficult to figure out and I'm sure that it won't take Becky any time at all. And she has you to call if she needs any advice. It might be difficult for her to get out so you might want to bring her over a few meals or offer to pick up groceries for her.