SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
doinitover

Owners review: Gaggenau combi, monogram, wolf, etc...

doinitover
16 years ago

I feel like such a creep that I have not posted my finished kitchen which I love so much but wanted to give you my opinions of the appliances I put in my kitchen;

1. Gaggenau combi steam oven: this was a stretch for me as my designer said not to work a kitchen around an appliance I had no experience with. I went back and forth agonizing over its purchase since I didn't want to stack it with an asymmetrical piece. I finally decided to mount it alone and buy it. I am so glad I did! I use it almost every single day! I love that it is small, heats quickly, adn is so versatile. I steam and roast veggies in minutes. It cooks a great roast or poultry with nice golden cooked edges. The thermometer is perfect for doneness. Fish is excellent. BBQ ribs indoors are succulent and a treat in the winter when grilling is not an option. I could go on and on, but I think you get the idea! I understand there is a model this year that does not require plumbing, but I highly recommend hooking it up to your plumbing for a few reasons. I use it and never think about it. If I had to deal with adding or disposing of liquid, I might opt not to enjoy it. Also, it does get soiled when you cook meats and fatty items, but I use Easy Off, let it sit for about 10 minutes and wipe dry. It looks new again! I put the metal filter in the dishwasher.

2. Miele Optima DW: Love it! The only bad thing I can say about it is that I got an error twice this year. Apparently there was too much soap in the line, so it couldn't clear. Once we took the removeable parts out of the bottom and followed the troubleshooting, we cleared it up. The problem is that if it happens when you are not home, the dishwasher will continue to gurgle and "drain" in the error mode until you cut the circuit. Great cleaning, no spots. I don't need salt in my area, but I do use the rinse aid. Perfect DW and very quiet!

3. Monogram 42" built in fridge/freezer: I love it, but we did the raised panels to match the cabinetry. This takes it out a bit from the cabinetry so it is about 2" out from cabs, hence not integrated at all. I was "stuck" with this because DH wanted a beverage/ice server in the door. I have had this same unit in the past, but not in a cab run. I'm not sure I would repeat this. If it were up to me I would opt for sub z or another to offer truly integrated with cab faces. I do use the beverage dispenser as well, so am not upset by our choice.

4. Wolf 36" DF range: love it to death. Love the sealed burners, the continuity of the large surface for moving pans, using a griddle, etc...I find the rear simmer meets my needs when using a large cooking pot (All Clad LTD stcok pot, Staub, or Le Crueset). I'm not sure this simmer is adequate for lower end, thin s/s or glass cookware. The oven heating is magnificent. I love being able to use large cookie sheets and bake using several racks at a time. I find the broiler great, but I do not typically cook meat in an oven...I'm more of a grill person. It is a geat work horse, but with the combi oven so handy, I don't use it every day. I tend to use it for large jobs since it is so large and takes a long time to reach cooking temperatures. I still don't really understand the different cooking modes like convection roast vs. convection bake...but I have used the guidelines offered in the owner's manual and have been very satisfied.

5. I purchased the Zephyr hood. I didn't want a vanity tag on my hood. It works great, but much louder than I anticipated if used at any speed other than low. I went for a look as well, so it is a sacrifice that I live with comfortably.

6. I am so happy that I built the GE monogram micro into the island. I agonized over that as well. It has been great for the kids to use, and I feel it didn't detract as much from the beauty of my cabinets.

Please feel free to email me at custombowsforbelles at yahoo dot com if you have any questions since I don't get to the forum very often.

Comments (9)