SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
cintijen

Macv and others- window height question

cintijen
13 years ago

Macv, I read on another post where you said there was no compelling reason to line up interior door and window heights. What about exterior doors and windows?

Originally, our architect spec'd all doors and windows at 8'. We have 9' ceilings. I'm personally not a fan of 8' doors with 9' ceilings, so we asked him to change them to 7'. He lowered all the windows as well. The only place it bugs me is our fireplace wall. We have built-ins on either side of the fireplace that tie in to the mantel height of 5 ft. He has spec'd 3020 casements above, so they sit right on the top of the built-ins, but then there is two feet of blank wall above them. I like the elevation of that wall much better when the windows were 3030 with an 8' header height.

I guess my question is, should we leave it alone? Deviate on only these two windows? Should we raise all first floor windows to 8'? Other options? The only thing I'm opposed to is 8' doors, interior or exterior. I just don't like them for this style house. If we were advised to go that route I suppose we would look into a 12" transom over the exterior doors. I can post new elevations if they would be helpful.

Thanks so much,

Cintijen

Comments (9)