SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
oruboris

Bankrupt builder?

oruboris
16 years ago

Don't want to get too deep into details, as this is all still in the rumor phase, but the rumors seem pretty convincing...

My house is about 80% done, and my GC is said to be filing bankruptcy. I've received no official notice, nothing has been in the paper yet, and the builder hasn't said anything. [But the lumber supplier and some others have.]

I'd say I'm about even on what I've paid him/what he's done. We are way behind schedule [starting month 13 of a projected 7 month build], and it's certainly possible that there's a giant, scary bill waiting for me down the road, but so far, so good.

So where do I go from here? How do I protect myself? He's supposed to be getting me some lein releases from the subs for my bank, but it's taking forever-- wonder if that's related. I'm paying most of the subs directly, probably a good thing.

He hasn't abandoned the project, though he isn't putting much into it, either. I'm concerned that he won't be able to get supplies to keep going. My priority would be to get this house done as soon as possible, as close to budget as possible, with as little hassle as possible.

Help!

Comments (4)