SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
covingtoncat

Another CL 'Stupid Tax' Story

covingtoncat
12 years ago

A few weeks ago there was an add on CL for a bed set I was interested in. I was in the number two position and didn't get the set. But the seller and I emailed back and forth a few times over some side conversations.

Fast forward to a couple of days ago and an additional set (minus a couple of pieces) came up for sale. I immediately put in a contact and set an appointment with the seller (they were leaving to go out of town and would return late Sun afternoon). I thought, ok, odd, why do you post an add a day or two before you are going out of town? But whatever .....

So off I go on my merry way (an hour and 15 minute drive from my home). I see the items and make an offer below asking (mind you I know what these pieces retail for). The husband then joins in the conversation telling me how much they paid for them, shows me the receipt with the price and says they won't go below their listed price even though the add did not say "firm." I told the husband that I would be willing to pay the full asking price, maybe a bit more if all 4 pieces were included instead of two (they were keeping two). The wife offers $50 off asking and stupid me says, "ok".

When I get home I look more closely at the receipt and find out that they had bought the set from the original seller that I had corresponded with, kept a couple of pieces and re-sold the set for almost what they paid the original seller! Nice, huh?

Is is perfectly fine that they re-sold the set. What I am bothered by is the fact that they were so dishonest about it. Telling me point blank that they were the original owners, blah-blah-blah.

I was dumb, I should have walked away when they wouldn't meet my price. That's my "stupid tax" story. Thanks for letting me vent.

By the way, I sent an email to the original seller about my adventure today. I am sorely tempted to contact the couple who I bought the set from and tell them I know that they lied.

IDK, maybe I should just let it go. WWYD?

Comments (11)