SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
ci_lantro

New Recipe Review January 2014

ci_lantro
10 years ago

Tried this recipe for dinner last night and it's a definite keeper. The only changes that I made was to reduce both the cayenne & cumin from 1 teaspoon to 1/2 teaspoon and to double the amount of garlic. (My pour-over sauce was plenty zippy on its own so reasoned that the burritos needed to be tamed some.)

Served with a 'clean out the refrigerator' side salad of artisan lettuce blend, diced avocado & diced kiwi w/ raspberry vinaigrette.

Black Bean & Rice Burritos
(Source: Bobikel via AllRecipes.com)

Ingredients:
1 cup white rice
2 cups water
1 tablespoon butter
1/2 sweet yellow onion, chopped
2 cloves garlic, minced
1 tablespoon butter
1 tablespoon chili powder, or more to
taste
1 tablespoon paprika
1 teaspoon ground cumin
1 teaspoon freshly cracked black pepper
1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
1/4 teaspoon ground cloves
1/4 teaspoon freshly ground nutmeg
1 (15 ounce) can black beans, drained
1 (8 ounce) can tomato sauce
8 large flour tortillas, warmed
2 tablespoons chopped fresh cilantro

Directions:
1. Bring rice and water to a boil in a saucepan over high heat. Reduce heat to medium-low, cover, and simmer until the rice is tender and the liquid has been absorbed, 20 to 25 minutes.
2. Melt 1 tablespoon butter in a large skillet over medium heat. Cook and stir onion and garlic in hot butter until onion is translucent, 5 to 6 minutes. Melt 1 more tablespoon butter with onions and garlic; stir chili powder, paprika, cumin, black pepper, cayenne pepper, cloves, and nutmeg into mixture. Cook, stirring often, for 2 minutes.
3. Stir black beans and tomato sauce into contents of skillet; bring to a simmer, reduce heat to low, and cook until flavors blend, about 10 minutes. Remove from heat, stir cilantro into the sauce, and let cilantro wilt, about 5 more minutes.
4. Fill each tortilla with 1/2 cup cooked rice and 1/3 cup bean mixture.

I placed the assembled burritos in a 9 x 13 pan and covered them with a roasted green tomato sauce from the freezer. Baked them at 350 until the sauce was bubbly.

These were so yummy. The nutmeg & cloves really add a special touch to this dish.

About the Green Tomato Sauce: Last fall, I gathered in the green tomatoes ahead of a frost and sorted out some of the most mature ones to ripen indoors. The rest of them got got washed, quartered and roasted with onion, garlic and some jalepenos. I roasted until all the veggies were soft and then whizzed them up in the Vitamix. Froze the sauce in pint size Zip-Locs. To make into a burrito pour over sauce, you can either use about a cup of the frozen sauce mixed with a can of 'Cream Of' soup OR make a up a cup to cup & a half of basic white sauce. I've done both and prefer it mixed with the home made white sauce.

I really, really like this green tomato sauce--so much that next fall, I will make most of the green toms into this sauce.

I also made a similar sauce with tomatillos for comparison. The tomatillo sauce is a little better--more fruity? maybe. (Used store-bought tomatillos so probably not the quality of home-grown...) Anyway, the green tomato sauce is, for me, a very agreeable substitute and, all the more so for utilizing green end of season tomatoes.

Comments (4)