SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
winggert

GE Cafe - Optional Backguard Option Install

winggert
16 years ago

fyi..I finally received the optional backguard, JXS80SS yesterday. I thought this was going to be a simple 10-15 minute retrofit. It took me almost an hour. If anyone is comtemplating purchasing this option, here are my lessons learned.

a) After you remove the original ship rear vent cover on top of the stove, use masking tape to cover the opening to prevent the screws from falling in, or use a magnetic socket to secure the screw. One screw fell in and took me a few minutes to fish it out with a magnet. Agghhhh.

b) Tap the (4) top mounting holes first before placing the new backguard on. The location and space of the backguard holes is very small and confined, and it was difficult to get my Craftman rachet and 1/4" socket in. The self tapping sheet metal screws needs some pressure to get the first thread started and it is difficult unless the holes are pre-tapped.

Overall, I prefer the new backguard which has a better free standing look.

Comments (41)

• ericpd
    16 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

Thanks winggert. I asked this question over in a thread I started (What's difference between Free-Standing and Slide-in). I am moments away from buying this range, but still trying to decide between the DF and AG versions. To make matters worse, I have heard in other boards/forums that a trivection version is on the near horizon. Still trying to get confirmation on that. Would hate to wait and halt my purchase on an empty rumor.

Did you have a free standing unit before the Cafe? If so, you prolly had the smae motivation to get the optional backspalsh that I'm sure I will have. I have a inch high border that matches our counter top. This border travels the full length of the counter, except where the stove now sits. I'm thinking that void or gap will be pretty ungly, leaving me to have the husband either take down the rest of the board or bridge it. The optional backsplash for the range is probably the easiest solution.

Lastly, did you get the DF or the AG? If AG, is there a fan in the back of the oven with an element around it? I'm getting mixed responses on this Thanks

Shawn!

• Related Discussions

Bertazzoni, GE Profile, GE Cafe or Electrolux Gas Range?

Q

Comments (13)
    I am not sure how useful this will be. I replaced an electric smoothtop (I hate them!) in my house in Oregon with an Electrolux Wavetouch 5 burner dual fuel LP range. I only lived there full time for about a year with the range before relocating to Maine. Am not sure what the fascination with smooth tops, but I ended up with another one in the place I have purchased in Maine, its dual burner died after 4 months of use. I decided to replace it with the 30" all LP Berta range and am taking advantage of the hood promotion (BTW, they retail for $1,200). My place is heated with an LP based European type hydronic radiant heat units and a LP fireplace, so adding cooking should not tax my 300 gallon LP tank, LOL! I was looking for a range that is decidedly "manual" without an electronic interface due to the wind and subsequent power outages that are to common in this part of the state. I was also advised of service problems with the electronic interfaces on the Electroluxes, even though my range in Oregon has not had a service problem as of yet, knock on wood (am a reluctant landlord). Initially, I planned to purchase an Electrolux dual fuel floor model but could not pass up the hood promotion Bertazzoni is currently offering. I am only hoping when the range is installed, the oven temp will be adequately calibrated. I previously owned a Viking, but really did not want to spend the extra money for what I thought would be of marginal benefit. I also do not miss cleaning the Viking grates which were an exercise in weightlifting too! I visited friends of mine a few years ago in Europe and I believe they have a Berta (the knobs are pretty distinctive). I do about 70% rangetop and 30% oven cooking. My old Viking had gas convection and an infrared broiler and I really liked the oven and understand that the Berta is similar, though I believe the heat control is different (regulated by flame instead of on and off).
    ...See More

GE Cafe range--does it need filler?

Q

Comments (9)
    Hi mmme, I had the GE Cafe AG range (but don't anymore). We installed it without the 4 inch backguard simply because the backguard was backordered at the time. It looked fine and was made to fit perfectly between standard cabinets/counters (25 inches) without any type of filler strip--it is indeed a free-standing range. The backguard would have been nice just to keep food from falling behind the stove or splashing the wall (we also had not yet installed our tile backsplash at the time), but it is absolutely not necessary. Hope this helps--good luck with your kitchen and this range!
    ...See More

GE Cafe range opinions

Q

Comments (9)
    I've had my GE Cafe Dual Fuel (converted to LP gas) since last Thursday. This replaces a Bertazzoni 30" all gas that was defective. The GE arrived with a small dent in the oven door - the appliance store states they will order a new one and replace for us. No problem. As for the range so far, I LOVE it! I had a very bad experience with the Bertazzoni and comparing that to the new GE it is NO comparison. I'm so pleased with the GE. The range top seems huge compared to the Berta, I believe this is simply the design but it's nice that it feels so spacious. The burners light quickly and the control is super. I can cook an egg on both front burners on very low and also boil water quickly on the right front "power burner". I have not yet used the middle (5th) burner but I will soon test this one. The oven is completely quiet, roasted fresh tomatoes/garlic/onions for a tomato sauce for 1 hr 30min Friday night and the oven fan never came on. The Berta oven roared upon lighting and never quieted down the entire time - I hated it! The electronic touch pad is fabulous - you barely touch and the command is done. One issue to mention, the knobs did get quite warm during the oven operation. Not burning hot but hot. This is something I will watch. Overall, I am very pleased with this range.
    ...See More

GE Cafe Gas Range- Optional 5' SS Backguard Yes or No?

Q

Comments (3)
    weissman & francoise47, I appreciate both of your opinions with I value. I have not seen the backguard in person. I will wait to get more opinions and then make my decision but I am not sure what I will be doing with the backsplash yet so maybe I should wait. If I don't do a backsplash until next spring, would it be OK to only have the stove against the drywall in my kitchen that is painted with no backguard or tile backsplash if I paint behind the stove in a semi-gloss?
    ...See More
  • xoxosmom
    16 years ago

How much does the backsplash run? Does it serve any function other than giving a different look? I thought it just came with the range I didn't realize it was a seperate purchase. Thanks for the info.

• teedup1
    16 years ago

Wingert: Why not dobber some matching paint on that exposed edge of your Silestone? That would make it less noticeable to your eyes. I had a hard time finding it. LOL

• ericpd
    16 years ago

winggert - Nice kitchen,... nice stove,... and an especially nice frige. I'm so glad you posted this picture, as I was a little worried how the handle of the Cafe would get along with the handles on the GE refrigerator we just purchased,... PFSS6PKWSS. Are friges are nearly identical, only difference is we have the one with the ice/water dispenser in the left door. By your pic, they get along well.

That back splash is gorgeous. Didn't know they had that, as I was only familiar with the optional rear tower that typically has controls on it. That is one gorgeous stove, but I think all just do the All Gas model as I am already set up for gas, and after reading through a couple of "AG vs DF" threads, I'm beginning to learn that the list of advantages associated with electric (convection) ovens doesn't necessarily and always overwhelm the list of advantages associated with gas ovens. Stacked beside one another, one list is as tall as the other. The added cost of operation and acquisition were the big factors for me when deciding between the two. Because I have both gas AND 240 service in my hole (Don't You Dare), I wouldn't have to worry about any prep cost though.

BTW,... how do you like your frige? I love mine but for one exception: the stainless steel on the doors had signs of severe warping. I addressed that in another thread and GE is replacing the doors this Saturday.

I'm with xoxosmom,... sure would like to know how much they charged you for the backsplash! It adds a really nice touch!

Shawn

• winggert
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Wow, thanks for all the comments.

I purchased my stove and optional backguard through a special website for corporate friends of GE with no payments and no interest for 24 months through Bill Me Later. I am not permitted to disclose the specific pricing, but the optional backguard was less than $50. I think others maybe be charging $140+.

Regarding my refrigerator, Model#: PFS22SISSS, it ran great for 10 months. Around June 2007, the left and right door's upper latch broke, and the main computer board was replaced three time due to temperature regulation problems. The material on the new latch is a lot thicker. I believe GE OEMs this from LG. Overall, my wife and I are not happy campers with this refrigerator but it is stable now.

• tetrazzini
    16 years ago

How easy to keep clean looking is it? Does it show streaks or fingerprints...? It really looks nice. I didn't know they offered one either.

It was thoughtful of you to share your installation experience.

• winggert
    Original Author
    16 years ago

The brushed stainless steel GE uses is fairly easy to maintain. It does show some fingerprints, especially greasy one. Don't use any ammonia based product. Just water or soapy water. Per GE's maintenance direction. Use Crema Brite occassionally to shine it up a little.

• ericpd
    16 years ago

Close,... but I've discovered that this line of GE refrigerators is manufactured by Samsung, not LG. Oh man,... 10 months uh? And how pray tell, does one become a special friend of GE? LOL!

As far as the Cafe, we may be going out later today to purchase one. Even though we haven't physically seen one yet, I'm pretty confident this is what we want. We're gonna see if we can pit HD against Lowes and see if we can sneak away with an insanely good price, might even include BB in that mix.

I'm not getting any promising feedback on a Cafe range model sporting GE's trivection technology in the oven and gas up top arriving any time soon. Gas/Trivection,.... that's my Dual Fuel trigger.

In ending,... I just gotta say one more time, I love your range install. I think I even like it better with the hood as opposed to a OTR MW. I'm assuming you have a counter top MW lurking somewhere out of frame.

Shawn

• winggert
    Original Author
    16 years ago

You maybe correct. I just noticed that LG has the same weak french door latch design as mine.

The discount is available through our corporation's intranet website which then links to GE's business partner website, SHOP4GE. If you work for a big corporation, you may have access. Contact Human Resource or your company's employee club which promotes all discounts available.

Some folks have access to Buyer's edge (Wholesale): http://www.buyersedgeinc.com/ which I could have used since my company is a member and provides their employee access. You save about 10% vs. the retailers.

Our countertop is quartz based, Silestone. We went through Home Depot and their contractors to buy, and install our kitchen.

Good luck with your decision.

• tetrazzini
    16 years ago

Through my husband's company (a major US corporation) we get 10% off MSRP on GE. We can find a much better deal through a small local dealer.

• ericpd
    16 years ago

winggert - We went out last night and purchased the GE Cafe range. We decided on the AG version, as I am now completely convinced that for us, there is little difference between the two (AG vs DF) when it comes to our cooking needs. We don't bake a lot,... some, but not a lot. The DF was a little over $100 more than the AG, and it is said that is more costly to operate.

I'm certain we didn't get the deal you got, but we did manage to settle on one, including tax and delivery for $1,952,... of which $55 will come back to us via a delivery rebate. So I figure high 18's (taxes, tags-n-title)ain't bad.

We had to go to a HD Expo showroom in order the actually see the range. And it is gorgeous. None of the HD, Lowes or BB's in our area had one on display. However, our local HD price-matched+10% BB's price which was $2,199. Then the manager added an additional 5% because he remembered all the trouble we had with our refrigerator purchase last month. I thought that was nice.

Now here's something interesting Eric and I ran across while at HD Expo,... a video kios put out by GE explaining the differences in and origins of convection ovens and how they compare to well made conventional gas ovens. Seems as though convection ovens gained their popularity in Europe, a region pretty much penny-less when it comes to two very important gases,... Natural Gas and Helium! Guess this is how they came to rely so heavily on electric ovens and built so many hydogen filled dirigibles (Hindenburg comes to mind). This reliance on electric ovens prompted their perfection of convection cooking I guess.

Seems as though the pressure of the gas behind each flame at the burner bar is just enough to creat a swirl effect inside the oven. Because electric ovens have elements that heat through radiant transfer, there's no pressure at the source. It can only rely on the natural movement of cold air constantly wanting to replace the void created by rising hot air. This natural movement simply is not enough to creat enough swirl to combat hot and cold spots inside the oven. And as the oven gets hotter, what little movement generated by this natural movement is all but lost. It went on to say that this is why even non-convection ovens often have two elements,... one on the bottom and one at the top of the oven. But even this is not enough to prevent a problematic cooler spot in the center of the oven and warmer regions nearer the top and bottom elements. Seems as though even the heat generated from electric elements is different than heat generated from flame. Radiant heat from the elements tend to dry out the air it heats, where as heat from flame tends to be more humid, which is good for cooking according to the video.

So,... here comes the fan. Now just the fan alone doesn't cure all of the drawbacks of baking with an electric heating elements. Placement, direction and other factors come into play as well. Since this was GE's video, of course it went on to say that their method of incorporating the fan (convection) is the best implementation. But a salesperson at HD Expo said that some manufacturers even introduce steam into the mix to help moisten up the air. I've never heard of that,... prolly one of the high end ovens from Viking or Thermadore. Apparently there are several types of convection ovens, each manufacturer having their own take and twist on it. But then there's something that's called European convection, which is considered to be 'True Convection', which GE says it does. I still don't know what makes convection 'True', but I'm comfortable with just knowing that convection ovens are just as good if not better than All Gas in some applications,... particularly baking. Before writing this, I tried finding that video on GE's site, but the only Alton Brown narrated video I could find was the one he did on GE's Profile Trivection ovens. Wished they made a Cafe Trivection DF,... they probably will, but I just can't wait for it. Anyway,... I thought all that stuff above was pretty interesting and thought I'd share. Sorry if most of you folks already knew all that.

We're suppose to be delivered on the 20th. Just in time for Christmas cookies. Oh almost forgot winggert, they knew nothing of the backsplash you have, and I didn't think to take the part # you gave us in your original post. They did find the optional tower in their computer, but not the backsplash. I was told to call back Monday (tomorrow) and speak with the Install Expiditor and she will be able to research the part for us.

Next,... the DW! And then we're done for a while.

Thanks again all

Shawn

• winggert
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Shawn,
    For your GE Cafe AG purchase, I believe you got a great price.

My purchase was $2600 which included the Dual Fuel stove, optional backguard, removal and delivery and a 4 year GE warranty. I took advantage of no payments, no interest for 24 months using their financing. I plan to leave the money in a CD for 24 months which reduces the original price.

Best wishes with you new stove purchase. My wife loves the stove.

Have a Merry Christmas.

• pamelasummers
    16 years ago

I tried to track down the backguard and with the number JX280SS came up with a 5 in high by 2 1/32 deep and 29 5/8 wide backguard. Doesn't sound like your product looks at all.
    I called GE and got the same response.
    Help!

• winggert
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Pamelasummers,
    Please try JXS80SS instead.

Here is a link that might be useful: GE Link

• ericpd
    16 years ago

Pamelasummers - HD's salespeople could find it either. I'm gonna take both winggerts new # and the URL off of GE's site with me in a few minutes. We plan on stopping by HD when DH gets in from work.

Thanks winggert for the new #

• pamelasummers
    16 years ago

Hey I have tried and only can come with the short 5" high backguard. Am I missing something?

• winggert
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Ok, I think there maybe some confusion. Here is a new picture which shows the optional GE Cafe "backguard" attached to the stove, in front of a stainless steel panel. The backguard is about 5" high.

If you are interested in the large brushed stainless steel panel which I used as a backsplash, I got this from Ebay. I think I paid $40. It is listed as 30"X30" #304 brushed 22ga STAINLESS STEEL.

I deleted the other photo since it was causing some confusion.

Here is a link that might be useful: New Photo of GE Cafe Backguard JXS80SS

• pamelasummers
    16 years ago

WHew!
    That is what is showing up on the internet. I was looking for a full height backsplash. THanks for clearing it up.
    I had one mde to fit my space, had it wrapped around 1/4" plywood with 2 holes at the top for screwing into the wall. It will slip behind the vent!
    Thanks.

• tetrazzini
    16 years ago

I was confused by that too! I also like the Cafe better with the 5" backsplash. Over the weekend we looked at the GE Cafe DF and my husband liked it a lot. So I guess we'll order it. It's been a looong process figuring out which range to go with.

I was surprised to find that a small local appliance dealer is selling it for $2049, while HD sells it for full MSRP. I'm happy about this because I'd rather support the little guy anyway.

• thoefen
    16 years ago

So where does one get a good deal on said JXS80SS? I just bought a DF GE Cafe and was confused by this post as well and was hoping it came with the 5" and that the 30" was optional. I looked around on the internet and found it at Lowe's for $299!! I was hoping it would be a little cheaper then that!! IT doesn't look like that many other places sell it? Let me know if anyone knows where I can get it cheaper!

Thanks,

T

• thoefen
    16 years ago

Anyone???

• ericpd
    16 years ago

I'm looking too thoefen. My GE Cafe won't arrive until the 20th. I plan on getting it perched into it's permenant space before I make my final decision on the backsplash. But if you find this piece at a good price,... please, please, please share!

Thanks, Shawn

• thoefen
    16 years ago

I'm still looking. I am even finding it hard to find on the internet let alone a good price on it. I didn't really think it would be that expensive. I feel like I need to have it but at that price I can buy a lot of industrial cleaners and /or paint!! :)

• thoefen
    16 years ago

So nobody else has bought the optional backsplash? I still haven't tracked down a good deal.

• ericpd
    16 years ago

NO,... the model winggert gave us doesn't sound quite familiar with anyone I've talked to so far. Maybe I'm not talking to the right people. I figured I'd wait until delivery before starting my heavy searching. Just incase I may need to measure or re-consider once I'm able to see exactly it is I'm working with. The 20th isn't that far away.

• winggert
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Hello everyone,
    Let me clarify again what I posted on 12/10/07. What I purchased from GE was a BACKGUARD (part number: JXS80SS), NOT a backsplash. I posted a picture of my GE Cafe Dual Fuel with the optional backguard attached. It replaces the original stainless steel vent trim.

GE currently does not offer a backsplash panel for the GE Cafe line. I think GE Monogram offers a backsplash. In my kitchen, I used a stainless steel panel as my backsplash which I purchased on Ebay which is also shown in my picture posted on 12/10/07.

I hope this clears up any further confusion.

• thoefen_hotmail_com
    16 years ago

Sorry about the name. I am looking to buy the 5" BACKGUARD (JXS80SS). I can find it at a few places for around $300. I was hoping to get a better deal on it. I have been using the JXS80SS number to do the searches and have found very little information on the backguard which seems strange to me. I did find it on one very sketchy site for around $200 but I usually like to buy from a more known company. I was just hoping to see others here have bought it and someone might be able to recommend a good site. Thanks.

• maxq
    16 years ago

Too much confusion here. The GE Cafe literature calls part number JXS80SS a backsplash, it is about five inches high, and it attaches to the back of the range and integrates with the vent trim.

Mine will be delivered tomorrow, sans backsplash. It does seem that deals can be had on these units, and my AG came in $100 less than what Egganddart paid for the DF, which is just about right.

• thoefen
    16 years ago

I called GE directly about the JXS80SS. They said they have sold out of them and aren't making any more until the end of January. They sell them for $203 ($230.22 including shipping). Lowe's sells them for $299 and they say they can't get any until February. Sears says they have them for $100 and can get them to me by the end of the month. That doesn't seem right so I am calling their parts center right now to see if that is true.

• thoefen
    16 years ago

Sears was wrong. They do have it but it costs $315 ($330 with shipping). They do have them in stock and can get it to me by the end of the week but it seems strange that everyone else is selling it for $300 or more yet I can get it directly from GE for $203? What is up with that?

• thoefen
    16 years ago

I found a company in NY that has them for $189 and they have 5 in stock (AjMadison). Hopefully I can trust them. My order should arrive on Thursday. I'll keep you all posted.

• ericpd
    16 years ago

Well our AG arrives on the 20th, and I'm not that excited about the 5" backgaurd/backsplash. I'm in search of the 30" stainless panel that ties the Hood to the Range,... as shown in Winggert's ORIGINAL pic.

Winggert,... could you possibly re-post the first pic? Eric & I were right in the middle of studying it when you pulled it. Thanks! THAT is the look and effect we're after.

• winggert
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Ok. I had to retake the photo. See link below.

Here is the description:

GE backguard - Part Number JXS80SS is installed on my GE Cafe dual fuel stove. This replaces the original oven vent trim.

GE Profile High Performance Range Hood Model#: JV636HSS Installed.

The stainless steel panel attached on the wall was purchased on Ebay.

Here is a link that might be useful: GE Cafe Dual Fuel with optional backguard, stainless steel panel backsplash

• curlywillow
    16 years ago

Winggert (or anyone else who has installed the GE Cafe backguard),

Does the backguard make the range any deeper? In other words, how much of the backguard sticks out in back?

I've got a 1 1/4 to 1 1/2 gap behind my Cafe range. My old range was a slide-in so I'm assuming that's what caused the gap. The sides are a perfect fit. I'm trying to decide how to fill the back gap. The counters are black granite.

The specs on the backguard say it is 2 1/32" deep. If it sets over the existing vent holes that would take about 1/2 to 3/4 inch off of the 2 1/32 measurement. If that's the case, I think it would fit perfect. Any advice?

• winggert
    Original Author
    16 years ago

The optional backguard replaces the original vent trim, but does not add any depth. The GE Cafe is a free standing range with the look of a slide in range. Since you had a slide in range before, do you still have the countertop's back trim installed which was behind the slide in range? If you can't remove this, you will continue to have this gap. The optional backguard will not benefit you in closing this gap.

I replaced a free standing range. I have the Dual Fuel version which requires both the 240V line cord and gas line. It took me several iterations before I was able to properly tuck in both the line card and gas line in the designated recessed lower areas behind the stove so I can push the range against the backwall with about 1/4" gap.

See my photos listed in prior entries within this posting.

• curlywillow
    16 years ago

Winggert,

My old range went all the way back to the wall. Either my gas line sticks out or something because the GE Cafe won't go any closer than 1 1/4 to 1 1/2 inches from the wall. It's a fairly good-sized gap.

Thanks for letting me know that the optional backguard doesn't add any depth. I was hoping that would solve my problem, but am glad I didn't order one now.

I called a place that sells filler strips. They said there isn't one for the GE Cafe (I also confirmed this by calling GE), but they sell ones in different widths for different brands and models, so if I can find specs on those pieces I might be able to find one that would work. If you have any creative solutions, let me know. My counters are black granite with a granite backsplash. The filler strip needs to be 1 1/4" to 1 1/2" wide and 30 5/8" long.

Thanks again for your help!

• ericpd
    16 years ago

Curlywillow - Winggert is correct, the backgaurd adds little to nothing to the front/back dimensions of the range. It functions more or less as a snorkle of sorts, raising the outlet point of excess heat from the oven. Of course, it protects your wall from splatters, and I would assume deters stuff running down your wall behind the range.

Winngert - Thanks so much for your advice and patients. We received our Cafe on time and we're very happy with it so far. Some pleasant surprises and some disappointing ones also. One major disappointment was finding that the knobs were plastic. I get the feeling I'm working one of those stainless outdoor propane grills. Hell, I've touched knobs on a few of those things at Sam's Club that feel more substantial than the knobs on our range. Oh well,... guess I'll get over that. As for the back splash, Eric came home with a generic 30x36 sheet of brushed AND polished stainless steel. With a little construction cement, he fab'ed a splash WITH a bar to hang stuff. To my surprise, it really turned out attractive and doesn't have to ragged presentation of being homemade. When we took the polished sheet back, I also saw a quilted version that I honestly wished I had saw first. But the brushed sheet is a surprisingly good match. You'd be happy to know that he got the idea from your pic you so graciously reposted for me. Big thanks!!!!

Also, I'm not hearing this big noise coming from fans like I've been reading about. I've done some baking over the holidays using both convention and convection modes, and no loud fans noises yet. Could this be a function of placement during install? I remember my brother taking the cowl off his VW beetle because it looked cool watching the fan spin,... he burned the engine up because the cowl promoted keeping the air-cooled engine cool. Idiot! Maybe there are some clearance issue,.. I guess that's what I'm trying to say. Haven't used the lower oven yet,... which I plan to do tonite.

Anyway,.. thanks again Winggert!

• pamelasummers
    16 years ago

query for winggert:
    does the 5"backguard help alleviate the problem of the vent causing the right rear burner to flicker or in some cases go out completely? I did read on another thread about this burner going out when the oven was at 350 or above. The cooling vent fan for the electronics automatically comes on and causes the burner to go out or flicker. The poster had the Cafe DF. I tried it on my mine (AG) and it flickered but did not go out.
    Thanks
    PJS

• winggert
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Back on Christmas day, my wife had a roast in the oven. The oven fan was on and I did notice the flame had a very slight distortion on the rear right simmer burner caused by some small air movement. I had the new backguard installed. The right rear burner flame was at its lowest simmering setting, but it was still lit and never went out.

When we had the original vent trim installed, we never used the right rear burner with the oven fan on. Thus, I can't say if I would have had the same problem others are reporting.

• tlbb
    16 years ago

I just ordered the backguard from Sears for $99. It's supposed to be in by January 17th. I'll let you know when it comes in.