SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
tmaki

Another Regional Fundraising Cookbook

Teresa_MN
13 years ago

This week has been a second Christmas at my house. First a big box of pizelles, biscotti and choco krispies from Lou was delivered. Then came another package from Texas. The package contained a fundraiser cookbook and a lovely letter from Rusty. Rusty lives in Kingsville, Texas.

The local KAN (Kingsville Action Network) came up with the idea for a local artists and craftsmen market. However, their fundraising efforts benefit both local and national organizations. A restaurant was added and the Market quickly became the focal point of downtown.

The book was put out a few years ago by the local arts and crafts group. The book is called the Sellers Market which has become a lovely gathering spot in Kingsville. The people of Kingsville must have come out in droves to contribute recipes because the book is rather thick. And it's a wonderful representation of the regional cooking style of Rusty's part of the country. Rusty describes Kingsville as a mish-mash of cultures; a large Navy base, a University and about 75% of the population is Hispanic.

The artists themselves contributed their artwork. The cover is a wonderful watercolor by Dolores Price of a place setting done in rich jewel tones. All the divider tabs feature works by the local artists. I looked at Dolores' website to see what was availble for purchase. I did not see the cover print but emailed her anyway.

Rusty was put in charge of gathering up the numerous recipes. And she wrote a wonderful article about the history of the Sellers Market for the local newspaper to drum up interest for the book. There are several recipes in the book contributed by Rusty. I never bake desserts, but the Dark Chocolate Raspberry cake recipe she contributed looks mighty tempting!

Thank you Rusty! I am really enjoying this book!

Teresa

Comments (3)