SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
purpleinopp

Why are quilts so dynamic while cross-stitch remains boring?

I've been cross-stitching for about 35 years and am so sick of mushrooms, santas, pastel in general, kitties, samplers, and all that kind of overly sweet, flowers, cutesy, 70's stuff. The selection of patterns available has almost become static. It's a real pain to draw my own cross-stitch patterns before stitching, but that is about all I have done for many years. It started with changing the colors and evolved into entire new designs on graph paper, then on excel spreadsheets the last 10 years or so.

Lately I've turned to my Mom's quilting books for inspiration and am in AWE of all of the vivid colors, new ideas, and abstract artwork available in this genre. Since both mediums are based on geometry, it seems odd that the more difficult, expensive, and space-consuming activity has taken center stage for being eye-catching, modern, and just more visually interesting.

I've shown my creations to many people and after hearing "you should put those in a book" or stuff like that many times, I started thinking about it since I know people like them. I've contacted several publishing companies about the possiblity of having 1 or more patterns published but was told by most they don't do leaflets anymore, and Leisure Arts said (paraphrasing) the style was not in keeping with their usual offerings and didn't think my patterns would have wide appeal to their usual customer base. Well, that's why I made them and thought others might like them, too - because they are different. And how wide is the appeal of something like a football team's mascot? And I'm pretty sure their usual customer base died years ago or has arthritis too bad to stitch anymore. I also don't think they have any idea of what people might like to stitch, only what they like to offer. I've browsed patterns very intensively recently and they still seem like the primary company doing this now. Is there another outlet for publication by magazine or internet that has become more prominent. I feel like I'm "out of the loop."

But seriously, tho, I'd love to hear your thoughts on any of the subjects I've raised. Is anyone else bored to tears with the patterns out there? Have you had a pattern published? Do you think quilt patterns have become much more interesting?

Comments (33)

Sponsored
Dave Fox Design Build Remodelers
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars49 Reviews
Columbus Area's Luxury Design Build Firm | 17x Best of Houzz Winner!