SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
chisue

OT: Need Boiler Info

chisue
15 years ago

No answers on 'Plumbing' or 'Home Repair' so I'll try here. Do I have grounds for complaint?

Our house is seven years old. The HVAC sub was incompetent. We had to add heat to some north-facing rooms via underfloor tubing, fed by a small boiler.

We always have the same company service our heating system in the fall. September 29 a tech replaced the AprilAire filters in both gas forced air furnaces and checked the boiler. I asked him if he'd bled the hot water system. He said no, but he'd added water to it and replaced the thermocouple (sp?).

Days later I noticed that all the heat return covers and vanes were filthy with dust. I had to remove, wash and replace all of them. I've never had to do that in 40 years as a homeowner.

We had some warm (for fall) weather after the service tech was here. When cold hit and we turned up the hot water heat...nothing. It took us a day or two to realize that the north facing rooms were only getting heat from the furnaces and none from the boiler. I raised the temp on the boiler thermostat and heard it fire, but...no heat.

The company sent another tech yesterday. I have a $700 bill for replacing valves. The boiler system was full of air; tech completely drained and re-filled it.

I think Tech #1 caused these problems. I think he ruined the system by failing to bleed it and adding water. I can't believe this was some coincidental breakdown; don't boiler systems last many years?

We've used this company a long time. They installed the boiler. I'd never seen Tech #1 before.

Advice, please.

Comments (7)