SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
lnhardin

The Contractors quote came in and YIKES!!

lnhardin
16 years ago

We met with our GC over the weekend and he came in with a quote that was at least $100K over our "stretch" budget for the house. Hubby is going over the spreadsheets to see how in the world to make this work. I am totally discouraged. Even if he can work the numbers (he's an accountant, the figures will be accurate), I can see that we would have every nickel we have sunk in the house - not a good plan in my opinion.I look at the plans which have hundreds of hours in them (we did them ourselves - we mostly being me). I can see immediately where we can cut the costs right off the top. Hubby decided at sometime during this process that he "had" to have a pool table - non negotiable. He also decided the first of the year that we really needed an Endless Pool - indoors. He has back issues and I understand that the pool might help. That is "might" as it's not totally a given. The pool table I don't understand at all. I feel like I have compromised on this house about as far as I can - laminate counters instead of stone, vinyl tile in the offices instead of wood, Frigidaire instead of Sub Zero for the refrigerator. It's not the cost of the pool table or even the pool. It's the space they take up. Between the two we could cut almost 1000 square feet - $100K problem solved.

So how do I broach this without sounding like "honey, we have met the enemy and he is you"? Additionally, if he did buy into cutting these we would pretty much have to do a total redesign and the very though of that exhausts me. I've been pretty conflicted about this move out into the country, and the maintenance involved in a larger house, anyway, and this feels like a start all over again.

We totally trust the GC. He has done remodels for us and he is the best. All his projects (not just for us), both new construction and remodel, come in on time and under budget and above and beyond perfect, so I don't think trying to mess with his estimates is an option.

Any feedback on a fix or even on getting me the energy to tackle a fix would be appreciated.

Comments (19)