SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
zone4newby

Breaking ground in winter: pros/cons?

zone4newby
11 years ago

We've finally sold our house! So we now we can move forward with our build without risking having two float two mortgages. We are not at a point with our design where we could break ground tomorrow, but I think we could get there by mid-January. Alternatively, we could wait until April or May. Our rent will be less than our current or future mortgages, so delaying the start of construction wouldn't be a financial burden, we just don't want to stretch things out, because once the builder has taken his first draw on the loan, we start paying interest.

Relevant details:

1) We're building in Minnesota.

2) Multiple builders have told us they can build year-round here.

3) We know we would have to pay for heaters to cure the concrete foundation if we pour during the winter.

4) Our lot is heavily wooded, so a significant number of trees will have to be removed from our building site.

5) The extended forecasts I can find all point to a mild winter (as Minnesota winters go-- it will still be below freezing for all of Jan. and Feb.)

6) A friend has said that we ought to be able to get cheaper labor rates in the winter, and that might compensate for some of the added costs.

7) We're planning a stick-built, vinyl-clad, two-story house with a full, poured-concrete, walk-out basement.

Obviously, I'd like to get into my new house as soon as possible, but I don't want to pay a huge premium for a couple extra months, and I don't want to have a house that settles more than normal or something because all the framing was done when the wood was frozen. My builder will be able to give me an idea of the cost implications, but I'm wondering what else might be impacted by building in winter.

My gut feeling about snow is that it's easier to shovel or sweep our snow than undo the damage of a strong thunderstorm. Am I wrong about that? Do either make much difference?

Thanks for any feedback!

Comments (11)