SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
peace_rose_gw

Siding 101 - input please!

peace_rose
14 years ago

We're building a 15'x23' addition. Everything is framed, windows are almost in, and the Tyvek is on. We're working on getting it roofed while we buy some time to decide upon the exterior siding. We had just assumed we would use cedar shake siding, but then my DH had sticker shock when he went to price it out. Now we're thinking we will do a lap sort of siding that could be painted, and less pricey. We might use the cedar shake-type-siding on the gables only.

I've tried searching the archives here to educate myself on the options. Also went to Home Depot today and priced out the HD brand of wood composite, which I believe is called Harditrim? I saw the 8"x12' HardiPlanks that they carry in stock. The pros of the wood composite seem to be that you can use a regular saw and that it can be mitered on the corners (thus eliminating the need for 1"x4" trim on the corners). The Hardie, concrete blend seems so dang durable though...Any opinions on these?

As for the gables, I understand that James Hardie also has a special order shingle siding that resembles the cedar? In contrast, I called Lowes, and the guy there said they carry 4'x8' sheets of wood composite shake siding. Any thoughts?

Vinyl is out of the question because we need something that can be painted (the rest of the house is painted brick). We're going for a cottage look for our 1945 ranch and are in Denver.

Other random questions I'll toss out there:

- Aesthetically, how wide do you think the siding should be to coordinate with the existing brick? Or should we consider doing a composite Shake for the whole thing?

- Is there anything we can do to add extra insulation on the exterior?

I'm all ears - thanks in advance for your help and insight!

I don't mean to get off track here, so I'll stop now. But here's a photo of our progress:

Comments (14)