SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
mtnlaw

First pics posted and siding question

mtnlaw
15 years ago

Hi: I have been enjoying and learning from this forum for over a year although I haven't really posted anything of consequence because I didn't have any experiences to offer. My wife and I started our house about 3 months ago on 12 acres in the mountains of western North Carolina about 45 miles from Asheville. As you'll see from the first photo, we're using ICF walls for the daylight basement with a hybrid stick/timberframe for the main floor. Site work, retaining walls, etc., has been a "bear" (we have some of those), but that is now behind us. With framing going up in the last few weeks it's been quite exciting to see a house taking shape, so I am posting a few pictures to share.

And I do have a question about siding. We need to make a decision on this soon and we have considered Hardie, Certainteed and Nichiha, all fiber cement products. However, the company that is going to custom paint the siding and trim for us also told me about a wood composite product from Lousiana Pacific called "Smartside". She said several builders have liked it because it is easier to work with than the fiber cement, the grain is more natural looking and it comes in 16 foot sections meaning fewer seams, plus it has a better warranty than any of the others. Has anyone used this product and if so, can you share your experience with it? Or, has anyone researched it and decided not to go with it?

Thanks.

Our furry neighbors were wandering around the site looking for some food before hibernation time

Comments (6)