SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
tetrazzini

can anyone explain role of btus in cooking, and about conversion

tetrazzini
16 years ago

I'm shopping seriously for a cooktop now and I'm looking at BTU numbers like 17,000 and 12,000, knowing I'll lose some in the conversion to propane. I was just talking to my sister-in-law, who's a fairly sophisticated cook, and who last year bought a Bosch cooktop with a range of BTUs from 15k to 5k. I asked her which burners she uses for common things like sauteeing vegetables, frying potato pancakes, or simmering sauces. She said she uses the 7,000 burners for that stuff, (lower for simmering) and the 15,000 burner for boiling big pots of water and maybe wok cookery. (She has natural gas, so 7,000 is really 7,000.)

I don't get it. I've heard many times now that the typical gas stove that we grew up with had 9,000 BTU burners. I assumed that that was the kind of sub-optimum appliance our parents' generation put up with, being unsophisticated as they were! More BTUs would be better. But if 7,000 BTUs does the job well for sauteeing, etc, what's the point of stronger burners? I liked the Kenmore Pro cooktop I saw, with BTUs of 17,200 and 14,000.... Now I'm afraid it'll be too much!

Seriously -- what are these burners used for? What do they do that lower BTU burners can't?

Another thing: I called Sears to ask about BTU loss in that Kenmore Pro top when you convert to LP and they, like Dacor, told me there was none! Does anyone know why some lose a lot and some none at all?

Thanks for clearing this up for me!

Comments (8)