SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
thomaspultz

Blower Recommendation for Wolf Pro Island Hood

Tom Pultz
16 years ago

If anyone has experience selecting a blower for a Wolf Pro Island hood I would like to hear about your experiences. I'm looking at two options: the internal 1200 cfm blower or the inline 1100 cfm blower, which would be mounted in the attic, probably along with a Fantech silencer. The duct run will be about 12 feet straight up through the ceiling, 2nd story, attic and roof. In theory the attic mount will be more quiet, but it's also substantially more expensive.

As to the choice of the hood, I narrowed down our island hood selection to the 42" Wolf Pro island or the Independent Santa Fe Island. Independent was very helpful on the phone and I'm sure their products are top-notch (I believe they still make some of Wolf's hoods). However, in the end I chose the Wolf Pro Island for the following reasons:

- Ease of mounting. The Wolf uses an optional stainless duct cover that actually serves as the structural mount for the hood. The duct cover attaches to the ceiling joists with 3" lag screws plus additional screw supports and the hood then attaches to the cover via 5/16" bolts. The Independent hangs from the ceiling via threaded rods and the duct cover is purely cosmetic. It looked like a lot more hassle to install.

- Finish. Since we will be installing the Wolf double ovens in classic stainless and also the sealed burner rangetop, also in classic, we felt it would be nice if the hood would match also.

- Speed control. Continuously variable on the Wolf, 3-speed on the Independent. This wasn't a big deal, but thought it was a nice feature.

- Availability. At least 6 weeks to order an Independent; the Wolf is on it's way and will be here by the 27th. The duct cover and blowers are in stock locally.

- Warranty. 1 yr for Indpendent, 5 yr for Wolf.

Pricing on the hood shells was nearly the same, but the Wolf duct cover is an extra $400+ and the blower an extra $200+ for the internal model. I haven't priced the inline yet but know it will be more.

Thanks for any recommendations on blower configuration.

Comments (23)