SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
kzim_gw

Poured concrete basement: temp., strength, slop lot

kzim_gw
9 years ago

Hi,
We are building a new home and are Interested in understanding more about:
1. What temperature is too low to pour a basement and have it cure properly?
2. Does adding fiber to the mix really make a stronger concrete?
3. What steps do you take to keep water flowing away from a home that is being built on a sloping lot. Front of house is lower than the street, the back of the house facing the lake is even lower.

We live in the mid-west (zone 5). Temperatures are milder than a normal October and are all over the place right now, highs 80-50, lows 60-30. We have excavation currently going on at our sloping lake lot. The GC says we have no need to worry about pouring our concrete. He has poured it up to January. He also said we could add fiber to the concrete to add strength to the concrete. We are skeptical of adding fiber because we had a new concrete floor poured in the garage of our previous house and it had cracks all over the place within a year.
I do not know the time frame to get to the point of pouring the footings and walls. But we are just now clearing trees so it could be a few more weeks I guess?
I have used a lot of information we have read from here in our discussions with our GC. I would be a complete idiot with out this forum. Thank you in advance for you thoughts on a poured foundation.
kzim

Comments (10)