SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
lythonde

Great New Mandoline & Related Pricing Mayhem

lythonde
20 years ago

So DH just gave me an early Christmas present...it's a mandoline made by MIU France. He got it at a local restaurant supply house, who had marked the reg price as $179.95. Their super discounted price was $149.95, and then on top of that there was some huge sale going to mark it further down to $129.95. When DH was rung up at $149.95, he corrected the cashier that the restaurant supply house was advertising a sale on the mandoline. The cashier (clearly this place does not profit share) said, "Okay, how does $99 bucks sound?" and rang DH up at that price.

Well, I LOVE this madoline...I love that I don't have to contort it in weird directions to make it stand up: it has non-skid grippy fold-down legs that are way more intuitive than my old mandoline. The slide is totally adjustable so you can get slices of any thickness you want, not like my old mandoline that offered three thickess settings, none of which were ever quite right for the project at hand. I love that the blades remove...the blades on my old mandoline were hard to wash because pieces of carrot, potato, whatever would get lodged between the blades and the body and I would have to poke them out with a skewer. More bonus features of the removable blades: you can order different configurations (thinner or thicker julienne, for example) from the manufacturer, and you can actually sharpen the straight blade on a stone. My old mandoline was great for about the first 3 months, then the blades dulled and I was pretty much SOL...because the blades were integral, they really couldn't be sharpened. Okay, to be fair, I haven't actually used my shiney new mandoline yet (since I received it an hour ago) but if I had to design my dream mandoline this is how I would design it.

So, he's a happy hubby: got a good deal, and I'm a happy wife: got the mandoline of my dreams. BUT, I noticed that the manufacturers sticker on the bottom of the box lists $100.00 as the retail price. So, now I'm starting to think that it's a good thing the cashier at the restaurant supply house was so "generous" because basically DH ended up paying the MSRP anyway. Sketchy pricing structure at the local restaurant supply place? Looks like it. But I did a little more digging and I did find what I think is the exact same mandoline at Amazon for $69.99! ($30 bucks off retail of $99.99). The editorial description matches the description of my mandoline perfectly...it's all stainless, comes with the straight blade, gaufrette blade, and three widths of slicing blade from french fry to large julienne. There is no picture, but I am almost certain it is the same piece of equiptment.

So my point is, if anyone is in the market for a new mandoline, this one looks awesome and--for stainless construction--is cheap by mandoline standards. So benifit from our pricing mayhem and you can buy yourself a little Christmas present and not feel too guilty!

Happy Holidays. :)

Here is a link that might be useful: MIU France 5-Piece Professional Mandoline

Comments (20)