SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
annie1992_gw

A trip to Texas and meeting Brenda

annie1992
15 years ago

OK, I finally got the pictures loaded onto photobucket, so here goes:

the first surprise was when we picked up the rental car. They didn't have the midsize model we'd reserved so we got stuck with this:

Yeah, I know how badly you feel for me, LOL.

It was below zero in Michigan, so I was pleased to see the beach:

Of course, I had to get into the water first thing, it was much warmer than Lake Michigan in June!

I shared the beach with fishermen, birds and jellyfish:

Makayla had already warned me to stay away from sharks and stingrays, they "are not nice". (grin) Still, we went fishing and caught a stingray, which the crew released:

We caught whiting, eels, crabs, stingrays, catfish, ocean perch. The whiting was kept, everything else thrown back except the ocean perch, which the crew fed to these guys. They are an endangered species, the brown pelican:

We both caught fish:

and we outran the pirates, LOL:

We took it back to the room and cooked it in our $7 pan from the Dollar Store, LOL. I made a fresh mango and black bean salsa to go with it:

We bought oranges and grapefruit from a nice Hispanic man selling fruit from the back of his truck. The oranges were nice and juicy, but the grapefruit was amazing, they were huge and nearly purple and didn't need any sweetener at all. We ate citrus and seafood every single day!

We had shrimp a couple of times, and made fish tacos out of the leftover whiting one day. The food in the island restaurants was mostly batter dipped and deep fried, nothing to brag about except one small diner where we had carne guisada with beans and rice:

This sign pretty much said it all:

we bought seafood here, the combination bait shop and seafood market, which I got a big charge out of:

My favorite, I think, was the Texas BBQ in Los Fresnos. The menu was on the side of the building, nowhere else:

For $5.99 they sold me a HALF POUND of BBQ'd brisket with beans and rice, it was nicely smokey and the sauce was slightly sweet with a bit of a hot pepper bite:

check out the smoke ring on the brisket:

We went to Mexico, it was....exciting. We walked across the bridge and into Nuevo Progreso. Halfway across the bridge I saw the "blanca cavello" (I think) a little boy was chattering about, a white horse drinking from the Rio Grande:

No pictures of Mexico. We walked across the bridge, past the armoured vehicles with mounted machine guns, past the wall of sandbags shielding the soldiers with more machine guns, past the soldiers in full riot gear with assault rifles. We had been told that if we took a picture of soldiers they wouldn't shoot us, but we would be detained and our camera would be confiscated. We would not get it back, so I stashed the camera. We walked three blocks, crossed the street and walked right back. As of this minute I have no desire to ever return to Mexico, although they had a beautiful hand tooled leather saddle for $200. I'd have brought that home if I could have figured out the logistics...

We also drove to corpus Christi and met with Brenda, I'll post those pictures in a new thread because this is going to take forever to load!

I came back tanned and today it was 50F here, so the warm weather must have followed me home!

Annie

Comments (26)

• canarybird01
    15 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

Wonderful photos Annie. That beach is beautiful and it sounds like you did well in fishing. I bet you and Elery really enjoyed that warm weather.

SharonCb

• centralcacyclist
    15 years ago

It looks like a wonderful, deliciously relaxing time! I'm glad the weather followed you home.

• Related Discussions

2007 Texas Gardening Events

Q

Comments (1)
    bumpety bump!
    ...See More

Texas Get Together

Q

Comments (18)
    Okay, gotta ask you, Sharon: spray paint in Amarillo? Good Morning America had a bit I saw on yahoo! about some of their people doing the Route 66 drive and they were in Shamrock and then it showed them spraying painting the buried Cadillacs "GMA". So, maybe you will be here Saturday night? hope so,,,It's not 104 here, don't think we've even broke 100 yet. have fun and we will see you in about a week. Brenda
    ...See More

My trip to Austin

Q

Comments (20)
    We missed you too David! Next time. It wasn't as humid as I expected - that was a relief. I guess you could get used to the heat. I did live in Taiwan as a kid and I don't recall the weather - you don't think of that when you're a kid. Weather in coastal California spoils me. Florida in the winter is still fairly humid but a nice change. The Virgin Islands are unbearable to me - ugh. Hawaii is close to perfect. I can't handle cold weather. Or gloomy climes. At. All. See, being able to get up day after day and not wear socks or a jacket and have the sun shining - it's tough. But someone's gotta do it! Texas is a wee bit on the hot side. But I like the people. I must've been a Texan in a former life. Um, a Texan princess, yeah!
    ...See More

Happy Birthday and RIP Brenda55

Q

Comments (15)
    Oh my gosh! I met Brenda in Austin a few years ago. She drove up from San Antonio and May came from Houston. We had a nice lunch together. Then she came to L.A. and met up with some of us here. We emailed a couple of times, she was preoccupied with the family situation for a long time. It was very stressful for her. I'm so sorry to hear this.
    ...See More
  • wizardnm
    15 years ago

Nice vacation! I've always wanted to visit there. One of these days I will.

Nancy

• susie_que
    15 years ago

WOW o WOW!!!

I love seeing vacation pics and these are so beautiful!!

Cheers!
    Susie

• lowspark
    15 years ago

Great photos!! Looks like you got the full South Texas beach experience! BBQ brisket with that smoke ring is pretty common around here, I guess we take it for granted! I'm glad you had fun!

• User
    15 years ago

Thanks Annie, I feel like I was there with you.....great digital travel journal. I just love the WWW , it allows us to share so much!

Looks like you had a ball!

• kathleenca
    15 years ago

Boy, all your food looks pretty darn good, Annie - especially the salsa. Looks as though you had a grand time, except for south of the border. :(

Great shot of the pelican following the boat.

• trsinc
    15 years ago

I love that pelican, too. You can really see the dinosaur in him!

So glad you had a nice time, Annie.

• annie1992
    Original Author
    15 years ago

LOL, trsinc, I kept referring to him as the "Pteradactyl", Elery just cracked up, but he was HUGE.

Chase you should have come along. It wasn't a road trip, but it was sure a trip. Toronto will be much better to visit than Mexico, now we both have passports! Get ready...

Annie

• riverrat1
    15 years ago

Annie and Elery, Wow! Your pictures of Texas look like where I live ;-)

Thanks for feeding the brown pelican. They were near extinct a few years ago. There numbers are climbing every year and it's so nice to see them making a comeback.

Thanks for sharing your trip with us. I couldn't wait to see what you caught because I knew you were going to cook it. I'm not disappointed!

• trixietx
    15 years ago

Looks like you and Elery had a grand time. Your pictures are so good!

• annie1992
    Original Author
    15 years ago

RR, those pelicans knew a soft touch when they found one, LOL. They followed the boat out and followed the boat back. The crew fileted the fish for us and threw the remainder to these guys, waiting not so patiently:

These dolphins also followed the boat around, I don't know why:

Of course, there was still some damage from the hurricane too, like this boat:

Annie

• lakeguy35
    15 years ago

Looking good with your top down Annie...LOL! Y'all had a convertible in CA last year too if I remember. Looks like you had a great time. I was thinking about you last week when our temps were in the seventies....I know Dallas was in the eighties and all I thought about was you even farther south dealing with our spring time temps. I know you are not a fan of the heat. Thanks for sharing your vacation...good to see Mr. E too.

David

• annie1992
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Actually, David, with the "ocean breeze" it was very tolerable most of the time. Two days had temps in the 90s and the wind blew about 30 MPH. That was too hot to do anything and too windy to do the beach.

Some women actually pay for dermabrasion, they just need to stand on the beach while the wind is 30MPH, they'll get sandblasted! LOLOLOL

And yes, we got a convertible in California too. We didn't reserve one either time, but we lucked out in both places. Seems people want little, cheap cars that get good gas mileage, not Mustang convertibles. (grin)

Annie

• jessyf
    15 years ago

Great pictures, I'm glad you guys had a good time. I was hoping you would have had some alone time to fish, what was it like on a charter with other folks? The only time I have ever fished was with you!

I've been to Nogales, Tijuana (decades ago) and Ensenada. Border tourist towns, I agree, ugh. Mexico is vast, I'd like to visit and see the other side of the coin. I hear Mexicans are among the most hospitable people. Just gotta stay away from the bad elements.

I'm glad you enjoyed at least one 'restaurant' meal, LOL. Now I'm craving brisket, time to go to Costco and have DH fire up the smoker for sometime this weekend.

Convertibles are fun....until you have to get out of one in the rain wearing a long skirt....grin.

• annie1992
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Why, Jessica, I know you would never have let it rain on me in California, LOL. The very nice young gentleman at the rental place offered to put the top down before we took it and I told him it looked too stormy. He assured me that it wouldn't rain on me, but I left the top up anyway. Sure enough, about 10 minutes later we were in a downpour.

I put the top down on the car the next day, when the sun was shining.

Fishing with other people was much like fishing by myself, except that the crew took the fish off the hooks for us, which was nice. We still baited our own hooks, for for $22 a person they gave us four hours on the bay and supplied the equipment and the bait. It did seem kind of wrong to be using shrimp for bait, though!

If I ever really go to Mexico, instead of just hopping across the border, I'd like to see the Aztec ruins.....

Annie

• mustangs81
    15 years ago

It looks like you took full advantage of the trip. Looks like a fun trip.

Cathy

• lpinkmountain
    15 years ago

Hey Annie you and Elery are wearing matching shirts on the fishing expedition. Great minds think alike!
    The sunshine looks wonderful, and so does the fish. Nothing better than sun, surf and fresh fish.
    Thanks for sharing those photos!
    Lpink

• Gina_W
    15 years ago

Oh, the pelican pic is wonderful - he's looking right atcha!

Too bad about Mexico -- the border towns are the worst with the drug stuff right now. Ugh. But do visit again - talk to a travel agent about a romantic seaside town untouched by the drug wars.

• Lars
    15 years ago

Great pictures! And I agree that it is too bad about Mexico right now. If you want to see real Aztec ruins, you would have to go to Mexico City. Here's some pictures I took of an Aztec temple excavated recently in downtown Mexico City, and here's some from the museum next door. My favorite ruins are in Oaxaca (Zapotec & Mixtec) and Yucatan (Mayan). There are fantastic museums in Mexico City, and I could meet you there, if you decide to go at some point.

It's great that you got to cook your own fish - now that's fresh!! When I was in Puerto Arista, Chiapas, my traveling friend José helped some fisherman who gave him a large fish, and we had someone cook it for us in her yard, which was an ersatz restaurant. She hardly charged us anything for that, and our hotel rooms were $1.60 a day - but that was back in 1978, I believe. They're probably almost ten times that much now!

Lars

Here is a link that might be useful:

• annie1992
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Lars, those are fantastic pictures, and that's the kind of Mexico I'd like to see, not the "original" replica purses and black market CDs, not the armed soldiers and professional beggars. Elery loves the ocean but I like other things to do besides just go to the beach and I've always wanted to see the Mayan and Aztec ruins.

If/when I go, I'll make sure I give you plenty of notice, I think you'd make a great tour partner!

Annie

• msazadi
    15 years ago

Hey there Annie...looks like you have a good travel bug. Isn't it nice to be able to cook food while you're on a trip? Boy, only the GW cooks think THAT way!

• annie1992
    Original Author
    15 years ago

LOL, Maureen, I think you're right, it takes a certain "kind of person" to WANT to cook on vacation, and I'll remind you that I was actually on my honeymoon, although somewhat belatedly. (grin)

Annie

• shaun
    15 years ago

Great pictures! Annie you always make me feel like I went with you. You take really good shots and explain them so nicely. Thanks~~

• Adnama
    15 years ago

Great pics! Y'all will have to try Austin sometime, you know...

~Amanda

• annie1992
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Yes, Amanda, I know. Texas is a darned big state, though, I couldn't possibly cover everything I wanted to cover, LOL.

Just a good excuse to go back when YOU'RE in Austin, that's what it is!

Annie