SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
thirdfrt

Question's about SuperAntiSpyware.

thirdfrt
15 years ago

Hi everyone,

I have some question's about SuperAntiSpyware.

My sister has an HP Pavilon Computer with WIN-XPSP2 installed.

She also had Ad-Aware installed at the time she downloaded SuperAntiSpyware. Ad-Aware was acting up and she couldn't open it anymore and it kept giving her a message to report it, she did but nothing came of it.

So she went ahead and downloaded SuperAntiSpyware and I helped her do that over the phone.

Once it was installed she said that 3 of the little bugs showed up at the bottom of the toolbar. She removed two of them rebooted and only one showed up.

So I had her click on the update and it said it was updated. Then I had her run a scan and it came up with 9 Adware Tracking Cookies and 21 things found in the Registry. They were placed in Quarantine and she left them there and when she rebooted nothing on the task bar except the clock and the start button was there, the other stuff was missing including Norton.

So I had her to go into Quarantine and place everything back into the registry. Then I had her do a Check Disk and a Defrag and everything came back into place.

I am thinking that Ad-Aware may have caused a problem when she downloaded SuperAntiSpyware. I had her to totally remove Ad-Aware and had her check to see if there were any left over files and there were and she deleted those. Ad-Aware is no longer in her computer. I believe that what SuperAntiSpyware found were False Positives but am not totally sure. Everything seems to be back to normal now. Now here comes the questions.

1. Should she remove SuperAntiSpyware from her computer and reinstall it because she did not remove Ad-Aware before she downloaded SuperAntiSpyware?

2. Would that possibly have caused SuperAntiSpyware to detect something wrong in the Registry because of Ad-Aware being messed up and still being on her computer?

3. If SuperAntiSpyware detects something in the registry how do you know for sure if there is something wrong or if it is just a false positive?

I don't like messing with the registry since I know nothing about it and since everything came back to normal when she restored the registry stuff back into her computer, that makes me suspect that it was a false positive. 4. What do you think? What should she do now?

Thank You for your help in this matter. Sorry this is so long.

thirdfrt!!!

Comments (4)