SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
canarybird01

Up the Mountain and Lunch with Anne

canarybird01
18 years ago

My English friend Anne and I went out for a drive in her car on Friday Jan 6th, which was the Epiphany holiday here. Although it was dull and cloudy, we decided to head up the mountain a bit to the higher little narrow village roads for some views over the valley where we live on the northwest coast of Tenerife. Being a holiday we knew there would be many people dining out, as is the custom here.

We drove first to the pretty coastal town of El Sauzal where we stopped at a viewpoint overlooking the sea and then passed by the central plaza where the night before there had been the grand pageant of the Nativity and Three Kings which is enacted in front of the church and which has become quite a spectacular island attraction using actors and real camels to portray the January 5th arrival of the Three Kings from the orient.

Later we stopped at a little tasca or family restaurant just a few meters away from another busier restaurant. Judging by the number of cars parked in front on the very steep hill we decided to take the more modest of the two places. So Anne parked her little Renault Clio beside a clump of prickly pear cactus and we got out.

The menu board outside offered the usual Canary dishes:

cherne fish, garbanzos, goat, rabbit, wrinkled salt potatoes and their standard menu. We went inside and chose a little corner table. With the new Spanish anti-smoking laws in force since Jan 1st, smokers were required to sit outside on the patio. It was pretty out there and they were obviously expecting to fill the tables with previously arranged groups. But we thought it might be a bit cool so we went back inside where I took pics of the flan and dessert puddings through the glass of the cooler before we sat down.

We both ordered their chicken noodle soup - which always comes with a mint leaf floating on top. Our main course was a garlic crusted fillet steak (solomillo) served on the same French dinner plates that I have at home ! The steaks were to die for. We hardly needed a knife to cut them. And the garlic flavour was done just right. The wine jug was crusted with frost as it is often the custom here in restaurants to put the empty wine jugs in the freezer so that when they are filled with red wine, it is slightly chilled. I had some of their flan for dessert - it was very good.

We finished with small espressos.

When we came out the sun was shining. I forgot to change my camera setting from indoor closeups to outdoor but got a few overly bright pics of the view over the coast and the prickly pears that abound on the hillsides. We drove home into the sun with the volcano Teide looming up ahead.

Dear Wolf had said he didn't want me to fuss over him and leave him food prepared before I went out, but he waited after all for me to come home and prepare him a late but hot dinner so he was happy. He always prefers to stay home rather than go on driving adventures with Anne and I LOL.

Here's the link to the photo album of 47 pics.

SharonCb

Comments (17)

Sponsored
Dave Fox Design Build Remodelers
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars49 Reviews
Columbus Area's Luxury Design Build Firm | 17x Best of Houzz Winner!