SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
swampwiz_gw

going bankrupt - giving up the dream

swampwiz
14 years ago

I've been asking loads of questions about the construction of my dream home. I have been able to get a very low interest rate loan because I am the victim of a disaster, and it was this low interest rate which has been fueling my desire.

Unfortunately, like a lot of folks these days, I have been living beyond my means (as well as incurred some debt due to the disaster.) As a software engineer who has been able to earn over $60/hr just a few years ago, I thought that I would be able to get a job making only $40/hr, which is what I would need. Alas, in 18 months of seriously trying, I have not been able to attain that job, so it looks like I am just going to have to throw in the towel and move on.

It is with some sadness, of course, but the bankruptcy should leave me in a good position to be able to live working only $20/hr, which I really think I can still swing. And as my nice 401K will be left intact, it's not like I will be poor, and I could always start tapping that if I could not even earn a rock bottom rate of $20/hr - jeez, I think the foreign tech worker Indians make more that that!

I have probably put in about 1000 hours of sweat into my home design, but I am thinking that I can now start looking toward doing a new design for the time that I will be able to buy a home in the future (obviously with less accoutrements.)

Oh well, such is life!

Comments (10)