SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
asangster

Blue Star Service story with happy ending!

asangster
16 years ago

For what it's worth I have just had a remarkably positive experience with Blue Star Service - via their web site:

Quick history... I ordered my 30" RNB online from Select Appliance in California over two years ago and recently had an issue with one burner not igniting - due to what I subsequently determined was a cracked spark plug arcing below the gas output level - stopping it from lighting and having the igniter fire continuously, even when I lit it with a match. (This was once the spark plug had been removed.) While removing the cracked spark plug the head of the screw attaching it broke off - it had rusted through. I initially called in the tech from the local gas company which had installed the range for me in the first place and they charged me $85.00 to say they didn't want to try to take on the broken screw head removal, for fear of damaging the burner material itself. They suggested that it might still be under warranty and to contact the 'official' Blue Star service rep.

With a growing, "Uh-oh!" feeling, I decided to contact Blue Star directly and found an email address on their web site to do so. After emailing the above I was surprised to see a response within an hour, explaining that my warranty had expired but also asking me for more info. Two emails later they had offered to send not only a new spark plug but an entire new burner, along with screws, washers, etc as well. Remember, this is for FREE, not even a shipping charge! All I had to do when it arrived today was unwrap it from the bubble wrap, attach the old venturi tube using two screws and then stick it back in the range top. It was a simple task which anyone with a screw driver and no knowledge of the range could do. Five minutes later my range was restored to it's former glory! I was so impressed that they did this that I felt compelled to find a place to shout it from the rooftops and what better place than at the Appliances Forum, where I first learned of Blue Star, to do this!

I have always recommended the product to friends without knowing what would happen if it broke down. I now know two things: 1) They stand behind their product - even after the warranty had expired in my case, and 2) the stove is so simple to service that your first thought should always to be to email Blue Star to see if it's something they say you can or should do yourself. They'll surely have on hand and, even if you're not as lucky as I, will probably sell you the parts direct for far less than you'd see on your typical service bill.

Anyway, hope this helps any curious Blue Star buyers who might be nervous about buying online from outside your region, for fear of no support from the company or ways to tackle service down the road.

Happy Cooking!

Comments (2)

Sponsored
NME Builders LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars2 Reviews
Industry Leading Kitchen & Bath Remodelers in Franklin County, OH