SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
grandms

Fraud alert

grandms
14 years ago

This evening I noticed my answering machine blinking to indicate a new message that had come while we were away this morning. It was a fraud alert from Citi cards. Being the suspicious person that I am, I wondered if it was legit. But I called the number given and then entered a number I was told to use. The person on the other end asked if I knew where my card is. It is in my possession so I answered that. Then he asked about purchases made on Oct. 30 to a company whose name I could not understand, but had never heard of. When I indicated no, I was transferred to a "live" person who then spelled the name of the online company where the purchases had been made. Then I knew for sure I had never ordered anything from this company. She said they will close that account and issue a new card and I am to destroy my present card. I reminded her that I had used this card today for two purchases, and she had that information. So I am awaiting a new card to arrive in a few days. I used this card for all my online transactions and also for gas and groceries. I have a Pay Pal account linked to this card and Amazon and a couple of other companies have this number. Somehow, someone has accessed either some Pay Pal accounts or accounts of some online merchants. I am just thankful that this purchase, made on Oct. 30, triggered the alarm. I am hoping that there are no other fraudulent charges since that time.

Seems no matter how careful one is, these things will happen. I never let either of my credit cards out of my possession, ever. This is one reason I would never, ever use a debit card for online purchases. In fact, the lady I talked to asked if this card was linked with any bank account.

Just be careful, folks. There's always someone waiting to steal from you.

Comments (10)