SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
lucypwd

? for miele bread bakers

lucypwd
13 years ago

OK SO I MOVED MY POSTS OVER FROM KITCHENS - INCLUDED TRAILRUNNERS KIND RESPONSE.

I'm making Alton Brown's overnight cinnamon rolls. I have always followed the instructions which state, " place a shallow pan filled 2/3rds with boiling water in the oven, remove rolls from refrig and place on rack over the water in oven, allow rolls to rise 30 min or so, remove rolls and water pan , preheat oven , then bake". My question is this, could I forgo the boililng water step, and just use the proof function? And if so, which setting? What is the proof function? Sorry to be a baking dweeb.

Follow-Up Postings:

Posted by trailrunner (My Page) on Tue, Nov 23, 10 at 14:10

Hey Lucy, a couple things. The proof setting is 125 degress...WAY too hot to be proofing anything. That said what I do when the house is really cold is turn on the proof setting and let it run for a few minutes while watching the temp. and turn it off when it reaches 90. The problem also with the proof is that a fan is blowing in the oven which would dry out things that are rising unless you cover them well.

The reason that Alton has you using the hot water is just to get a quick rise of the rolls. So you can either set any old bowl of hot tap water in there with the rolls...nice moist warmth to rise them in, or you can use the proof but cut it off before it reaches 125 and let your rolls rise or a combo of both and set the warm water in there....I wouldn't use boiling just your usual hot water from the tap and turn on the proof and then cut it off and you will have warm and humid.

Oh also do cover the rolls as they rise or you will get a dry skin on the top of the dough. You can brush then lightly with with oil or spray with PAM to keep them from drying out...this is the same as when you place a ball of dough into an oiled bowl and then turn it over to coat the top. Hope this wasn't too long. c PS please post pics !

RE: ? for miele bread bakers

Posted by lucypwd (My Page) on Tue, Nov 23, 10 at 14:22

Thanks Carolyn - so is that why the tops of the rolls are hard and dark? I covered them in the frig overnight, but did not cover them in the oven while rising. This recipe is a no brainer - honestly you just mix it in the kitchen aid mixer - super easy.

When would you use the proof setting at 90 degrees?

Comment