SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
dixiedoodle_gw

Sprayed-on cellulose vs. blown-in fiberglass??

16 years ago

This is a cross post with the HVAC forum.

We are presently evaluating different types of insulation for our home in Central Virginia. It is a Cape with several cathedral and 2 story rooms. We are trying to build as energy efficient of a home as possible, within our budget. We are using high efficiency heat pumps, energy star windows, brick veneer, metal roofing, ventless insulated crawl space, etc. We want to use a very good insulating material, but we do not want to use the sprayed-in foam. We are also not interested in using fiberglass batts. We were going to use the sprayed-on cellulose for the walls and the blown-in cellulose for the attic space; however, our GCs insulating contractor has recommended that we use the blown-in fiberglass system from Certainteed called Optima.

Besides the fact that these are obviously two entirely different products, I have not been able to find any good explanations of the side-by-side comparisons. I was told that the reasons for the Optima recommendation are 1) that they are concerned about using a "wet" product in our area of Virginia that has high humidity. Also, we have a large portion that is 2 X 6 construction and he is stating that it is difficult to determine if the product has fully cured; and 2)that the exterior membrane of the Optima product holds the fiberglass in place and even though there is settling there is less risk of damaging the insulation (or even losing pieces of the insulation) during the drywall installation vs. the sprayed-on celluose method.

In addition, he is recommending using fiberglass batting for the attic space vs. a blown-in product. He said that with the amount of ductwork in our attic area that we will receive more benefits from the batting than we would with a product that they would have problems installing correctly in all areas. Would it be unreasonable for us to request that he use a blown-in product and supplement it where needed with the fiberglass batting?

And, one other question. We wanted to use the low expansion foam around our windows/doors. He said that they would do it if we insisted, but that they would rather not b/c even the low expansion foams will lead to difficulties with proper window function. Has that been anyone else's experience? He wants to use fiberglass and caulk to seal these areas instead.

Thank you all so much! I know it is a long posting, and I do appreciate any feedback that you can provide!

Comments (13)