SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
barbara9093

All-Clad vs. high-heat

barbara9093
18 years ago

Okay, I don't get it. I buy a high-powered Viking cooktop and a set of All-Clad Stainless Steel pots and pans so I can attempt to cook like a pro. And the first thing I see in my All-clad instructions is that you are not supposed to use All-Clad on high heat; only low to medium.

My impression of professional chefs is that they treat cooking like an extreme testosterone sport. High heat; lots of shoving of pans back and forth across the burners; huge flames shooting up from the pan as they splash in something alcoholic to make a sauce. So now I have the professional stuff, but I'm supposed to coddle these pans wimpily on low-heat?

I tried making some hash-browns. I took some boiled potatoes, heated a saute pan on low heat with some oil, as directed, and added my chopped up potatoes. They instantly stuck to the pan. All that happened as they cooked is that succeeding layers stuck to the pan and brown while the (ever-shrinking) cube of potato remained white and mushy.

(And the boiling tarnished the pot.)

I have been making hash-browns in a variety of pans for a long time. I have some old Calphalon with the coating all gone; a cheap non-name non-stick; an old Wearever... any of these makes decent (if toxic) hash-browns. What's with this All-Clad?

I even tried making plain-old spaghetti. if you can't use high-heat, how do you get a good boil going for spaghetti? On medium heat, as you add the spaghetti, it all sits there miserably and gets gummy and gluey.

I'd appreciate all hints!!!!

Comments (8)

Sponsored
Innovative & Creative General Contractors Servicing Franklin County