SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
polarprincess

questions about wireless internet

polarprincess
14 years ago

Forgive me as i am kind of behind the times on my wireless internet stuff. i currently have DSL at 512k speed for $35.00 a month through our landline phone company. I was at my cell phone place today.(alltel) I recently got a new blackberry and the salesman was trying to sell me wireless internet for my home computer for $40.00 a month instead of my dsl. Included in the deal was one of those small acer mini computers 4 gig for $99.00 with the wireless internet card with 3 months free internet, and free activation. 2 year contract required. He told me that the wireless would be way way faster than the DSL, and that the card could be used in my home computer to make it wireless without a router or used in the mini laptop but if i wanted to use both the computers at the same time that i would need a router which i knew. he quoted the price on the router to be $179.00 so my questions are these:

Is this a good deal? Should i do this and will it really be faster that my DSL?

Is this removeable wireless card the same thing as the wireless card they ask if you want when you order a home computer? ( i guess i was thinking this was something that was integrated?)Is having a usb slot enough to have access to wireless?

Someone told me that i could use my blackberry plugged into a computer to get wireless access of a laptop, and that they do it all the time. is this true because the guy at the cellplace told me i could but it would cost me $30.00 a month and that it would be slow.

Would i need that $170.00 router or would any router work? I am confused on that.

How safe is wireless internet from hackers? If i use zone alarm or something similar would i be protected? How is a blackberry protected for that matter?

Thanks for any advice you can give me.

Comments (3)