SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
phyllis_philodendron

wanted: ok, the box is here!

OK, my box has arrived. Robinkateb, my swap partner, was gettin' kind of worried. I assure you that everything arrived in perfect condition!

Here is THE BOX. Ooh, I can't wait to see what's inside!

{{gwi:1467260}}

(Ok, looks like these are going to be huge, sorry. My first time pasting a direct link - yikes!)

OK, here's what's inside: four jars of wonderful jam - raspberry jam, strawberry jam with cointreau and drambuie, rhubarb jam and apple pie jam! YUM! Of course, DH sees it and says he's gonna make a huge peanut butter and jelly sandwich. Ugh! We're going to do something better with it than that! :p

Also inside is the cookbook "Cooking with Five INgredients or Less," which is right up my alley! Five ingredients is about my limit sometimes of what I have on hand, so it's nice to know that I can actually make something with the random foods that are often in my pantry. :)

And last but not least is a silicone baking/pastry mat from King Arthur Flour. I can't wait to try it out this Thanksgiving when I make pies! The little dots represent where you can place drop cookies based on size- one tbs., 3 tbs, etc. How neat!

And, unlike myself, Robin at least had the good sense to put the jars in Ziplocks to make sure they didn't leak if broken. Swap partner, I'm sorry, but I forgot to do this for your box after it was too late. So if anything breaks, it's going to be vewy, vewy sticky. That much I'll admit.

{{gwi:1467261}}

As you can see, Sarah just couldn't contain her excitement.

Anyway, here's a closeup of everything, including all the carp in the background. Just ignore that.

{{gwi:1467262}}

There's something so satisfying about jars of homemade jam, even though I've never made any. I plan to change that soon, though, by forcing my mom to teach me. She's canned stuff for years (heck, even my old fart stepdad cans, for goodness sakes! Where did I go wrong?!) and I grew up with that image. I'm dying to learn so maybe it'll be MY homemade jam someone receives in the next swap! :D

Robin, thanks so much for your generosity! (And thanks, Ann T, for the phone call prodding me to get my butt in gear and post! :D)

Comments (42)

• Lars
    17 years ago

I actually love that silicon mat! How nice to have the cookie placement marked out for you.

All the jams sound great, but I've never had rhubarb - I'd probably start with the strawberry. Can you make a pie with the apple?

The cookbook sounds like a good fit for you - I'll be interested to see how they use fewer than 5 ingredients.

Lars

• chancesmom
    17 years ago

Wow, that is a very nice package! I think as I start to do a bit more baking I need a silicone matt too!!! And the jam sounds amazing. Sarah is too cute.

Enjoy it all, Phyliss

janet

• Related Discussions

WANTED: Wanted to know if meinflippin is ok?

Q

Comments (3)
    This is strange. I guess I got lucky. She did let me know that she'd received the plants I sent and did sent me a huge box loaded with belladonna & lycoris bulbs. I emailed to let her know that they arrived in good condition but she didn't respond. This was sometime in mid Jan. For some reason I think that maybe something happened, I didn't get the feeling that she was the type to intentionally rip anyone off. I have seen that a number of people didn't receive their end of a trade from her. I don't want to think that anything bad has happened but I'd also hate to think that she shafted a bunch of people either. Karyn
    ...See More

WANTED: My box is here..

Q

Comments (33)
    What a great swap package. I've never heard of a salt pig before. Why is it called that? I do use a jar for my sea salt or kosher salt, whichever I have on hand. It's one of those old fashioned canning jar kind of things with the rubber seal and metal hinge. I live in north Texas, which is usually quite humid, but not as bad as some places. I've never had the salt clump, and I'm not always that good about keeping it sealed. The pizza pans are such a good idea. The lemon squeezer and the salts and the pizza dough, and the recipes....Shelley, I bet you're going to have quite a lot of fun with it all. Good job, Linda. Sally
    ...See More

WANTED: My box is here! Thank you Pam!

Q

Comments (17)
    Those spoons will remind you of Pam everytime you use them. Awwwwww. Love the apron, hope its a recruiting agent for the CF, we need more MLC virgins! And I LOVE the casserole, perfect and clever! (note to Pam...hey nothing stopping you from sending something special later as a surcie....ask me how I know...heh heh...) I spent ten minutes going through ads for stores I'll never visit looking for bargains? :) Be careful.... you know how CFers manage to get around..
    ...See More

Ok, ok...you want a reveal, I need to pick paint first!

Q

Comments (21)
    Ooooh, pretty colors! I may need to head back to SW. Got a call tonight, the couch is arriving with the chair a week from tomorrow. I'm going to continue to investigate all suggested colors and get more chips. Then hopefully once the furniture is here it will be easier to pick! I need to focus on getting a closet system in the living room closet so I can clear some floor space this weekend for the furniture, but I will try to post a few of the suggestions with the suggested color swatches after I get some chips to look at. Thank you for all the great suggestions! More are welcome...
    ...See More
  • robinkateb
    17 years ago

I am so glad everything arrived in one piece and you like all of it. I spent a lot of time deciding what to send. I'm a little obsessive, LOL. Oh carp, Julian just woke up. Well here is the "To my Partner" with all the blanks filled in...

-Robin

Ah, at last I am done deciding what to send you, however the wait is not over yet. You see the cookbook has not arrived yet and I only placed the order for your local item last night. I could have gone to get it, but the temptation to go on a spending spree would have been too much for me. So paying shipping is the more frugal choice.

Then there is your homemade goodies, which I believe is 3/4 complete... There is one item I would really like to make and add to the grouping, as time permits.

You local was the hardest choice for me to make, would you want some syrup, or chocolate, how about some salad dressing, or I could send a Snow Flake Bentley photo of a single snow flake crystal? Oh the choices they might kill me I thought as I tried to narrow it down. Finally I remembered King Arthur Flour and looked there yesterday. I thought maybe a mix to help you make a pie crust, there was a fruit pie kit that had that and some more. But no it was backordered, and it seemed a little mean. So I got you a cookie mat with markings for spacing and a King Arthur Logo too. You said you like to bake cookies in a thread so long ago, so this should fit, I hope...

So while I am done deciding, and even the shopping is done, your package is not ready, you will have to wait some more I am sad to say.

-Robin

• annie1992
    17 years ago

Oh yum, Robin's jam is always wonderful and that mat looks very handy. I'll bet David will love that, put a cookie on the dot. LOL

Of course, that baby girl sleeping next to the box is perfect too, probably why you need that "5 ingredient or less" cookbook.

Annie

• triciae
    17 years ago

Phyllis, I was just admiring that KA cookie mat last weekend in my new KF catalogue. I'm thinking you'll enjoy it.

The jams sound wonderful. The rhubarb would be what I went for first. It would bring back memories of my Mom. She made a rhubarb pudding that I loved as a child. I'll bet none of them last more than a couple weeks.

I like the idea of the five ingredient cookbook. I also cook mainly from a pantry & need recipes that don't call for weird stuff. Looking forward to seeing a couple examples.

Great package, Robin! and enjoy your goodies, Phyllis!

Sarah is darling.

Tricia

• craftyrn
    17 years ago

Oh I don't know Phyllis- Sarah looks to be perfectly content with your swap box !

Jams are GOOD-- especially rhubarb , nothing better on a warm biscuit . Tricky thing that mat . And I love the idea of that cookbook-- going to be used alot I bet.

• Terri_PacNW
    17 years ago

That mat is sooo cool! What a nifty trick..the marking spots.

Lots of jams to try..
    And I'll look forward to you sharing some recipes from that Book!
    I like things that are minimal and quick.

• riverrat1
    17 years ago

Oh, I'm not sure which item I like best. I love them all! I think I would have a Jam tasting. LOL!

Great job Robin!

• doucanoe
    17 years ago

MMM. I haven't had rhubarb jam in I don't know how long, but it is one of my faves!
    I have looked at those silicone mats, too, but have not gotten one yet. Maybe yours will be my inspiration! Five ingredients or less? What's not to love?

Great box, Robin! Phyllis, Sarah is a doll!

Linda

• robinkateb
    17 years ago

The mat seemed like the perfect purchase when I made cookies with Sebastian. I kept moving the cookies to the correct spacing when he wasn't looking. But placing them on the mat he would enjoy. However I did not think to get myself one.

The rhubarb in the rhubarb plum jam comes from my new backyard. My next door neighbors gave me a second plant so maybe in a few years I can make a full size batch. however I knew Phyllis loves rhubarb so I knew what I had to do with the rhubarb in the freezer.

Sarah is beautiful btw, so glad the box is not disturbing her nap.

-Robin

• robinkateb
    17 years ago

lars, the apple pie jam is called that because it contains apples and apple pie spices. So it is a little like eating an apple pie. In this house we like it best on French Toast. Annie bakes it into the centers of bran muffins i believe.

-Robin

• dedtired
    17 years ago

Okay, Phyllis, you win for best picture. All kinds of sweet things in your shot. That jam sounds like it's out of this world -- drambuie and cointreau? Apple pie jam? Let me at 'em. Wow.

• goldgirl
    17 years ago

Okay Robin, did you intentionally color coordinate the pastry mat and cookbook ;) Wonderful package. The cookbook sounds right up my alley too!

• Carol Schmertzler Siegel
    17 years ago

Great package, Robin. Those jams look fantastic! There is nothing like homemade jams! Great cookbook and the mat is really cool. Nice idea! Enjoy, Phyllis! Sarah is a beautiful little doll!

• teresa_nc7
    17 years ago

Great choices, Robin! I speak from experience when I say your jams are the best! I still want to make some Apple Pie Jam.

Yep, Phyliss gets the best swap box photo award. Enjoy all your goodies!

• sheshebop
    17 years ago

That swap is really, really nice, but I am sorry to say that it was just a little overshadowed by that absolutely adorable little munchkin in the baby carrier, lol. The jam is great, I love the cookbook, and the silicone mat is awesome....BUT...the baby is breathtaking!

• blueiris24
    17 years ago

That cookbook sounds right up my sister's alley - let us know what you make. Love the homemade goodies and the mat -- and Sarah is too cute for words. Enjoy!

• dgkritch
    17 years ago

I WANT THE BABY!!!!!

Everything else is awesome too.

You're going to have lots of fun. We want to see that mat in use and of course, post recipes!

Nothing beats homemade jam.
    Deanna

• ziporion
    17 years ago

That is one happy, sleeping baby, just check out that contented face!

Nice package, especially love the homemade jams, I'd pick the strawberry, smells of summer!

And that cookbook should produce some very interesting recipes, and what a score on the silicon mat!

Very nice Robin! Enjoy your package Phyllis!

Catherine

• kent4489
    17 years ago

Phyllis, super package! Sarah is adorable.
    Robin, clever, having King Arthur as your local item.

Jayne

• User
    17 years ago

I knew that Robin would send something special. Wonderful swap box. That mat will be perfect for when Phyllis makes cookies with David.

Phyllis, what a sweet photo of Sarah. Enjoy all those wonderful jams.

Ann

• phyllis_philodendron
    Original Author
    17 years ago

That swing is a lifesaver! That and the radio - tuned to nothing but static and turned up really loudly. Works for us!

I can't wait to bust into the rhubarb jam. I lovvvvvve Rhubarb! Robin, it killed me how you said in your letter, "The house we bought this summer has a rhubarb plant," like it's a fixture of the house. :D Very important!

• deanna1949
    17 years ago

OK, bring out the hot bread...I'm ready for jam!! Those all sound yummy. I can't imagine which I'd try first.

You should be able to post TWO recipes since the ingredient list is short. That sounds like a cookbook most of us could use. And the mat will be so handy. It won't be long before Sarah will be rolling up cookies to put on the dots! (She's a sweetie! Thanks for the photo!) A totally great package.

• shaun
    17 years ago

Woo Hoo Apple Pie Jam?? Really? Yum I'd eat that on a spoon!! I also love the cookbook with 5 ingredietns or less that's right up my alley!

Great Job!

Shhhh don't wake the baby!!

• momto4kids
    17 years ago

The cookbook is really neat! That would be good for me, too! Those jams...very special. The cookie silicone mat is such a great idea. Great package! Enjoy!

Robin..great job!

• maggie2094
    17 years ago

Strawberry jam with cointreau and drambuie! Apple Pie Jam? Ohmygawd.

That mat is clever. The King knows how to do things.

Very nice!

• coronabarb
    17 years ago

I'm drooling at the thought of apple pie jam. You've got several to choose from...hmmm, how about 4 slices of toast for breakfast, with a different jam on each slice.

The cookbook sounds great. I'd love to look through that one.

And, of course, all this is upstaged by the little cutey pie who just had to get in on the picture. :-)))

• compumom
    17 years ago

OMG, Robinkate's Strawberry jam is to die for! I'm sure the Apple Pie is too, I could definitely consume 'mass quantities' of both! Sarah is precious, I love little girls dressed in purple!

• traceys
    17 years ago

First of all Sarah is beautiful!! Nothing better than a sleeping baby. Well maybe a smiling one.

Terrific package you put together Robin. I want one of those mats. I just got a catalog this could be dangerous.

All those jams sound amazing. I've never had rhubarb.

Enjoy Phyllis!!

Tracey

• stacy3
    17 years ago

that strawberry jam sounds heavenly - and I just love rhubarb. (Sarah looks so BIG already!!!)

That idea of the baking mat is very cool! I need one too as I have a heck of a time with spacing. I usually have to break them apart and they have square sides...

I can't wait to hear about the cookbook, too! How perfect for you with your young children!!!

Wonderful choices, Robin, I liked seeing your note filled in...(I was wondering about that mean part - lol!)

Stacy

• User
    17 years ago

What a perfect cookbook for you Phyllis. With two little ones 5 ingredients would be max! Love the idea of the cookie sheet too, David can have some fun lining them up.

I've seen your PB& Jam sandwiches up close and personal!!!! Not with that jam! LOL

• sally2_gw
    17 years ago

That's a very nice package you put together, Robin. That mat looks very handy. It looked like it had measurements on it, too, which would be really useful to me. I find myself in search of a ruler to measure pastry or a dish or something, and needing to wash it cause it was lost in a jumble drawer or had fallen under the sofa. The book looks very useful, and I bet you'll enjoy those jams, if your husband doesn't get to them first!

Sally

• phyllis_philodendron
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Sharon, I totally forgot about the smashed PB&J sandwich! And the bruised banana! LOL All that stuff floating around in my bag...at least David ate it!

(He went through a phase of hating PB&J - I don't blame him - but now he eats it because I cut out the bread in the shape of a heart. Hee hee! Evil mommy!)

• Gina_W
    17 years ago

"I want the baby!" -- LOL!!

Apple pie jam? Oh that sounds Tooooo good!!!

• Bizzo
    17 years ago

Awesome package! And Beautiful Baby! I think the cookbook sounds great, the silicon mat wonderful, and the jams delicious.

Nice work Robin!

• lakeguy35
    17 years ago

I have no doubt that all of those jams will be fantastic. I'm liking the cookbook too, can't wait for you to share a recipe. Enjoy it all Phyllis, Sarah is a cutie for sure! Good job Robin!

David

• catlover
    17 years ago

Sarah is beautiful. The jams sound great! Great swap package. Adele

• KatieC
    17 years ago

Preserves from Robin...you are a lucky woman, Phyllis. The mat looks very handy. Can't wait to see some quick and easy recipes from that cookbook. Nice swap.

• trixietx
    17 years ago

Robin puts together a really, really good package and if you don't like the strawberry jam, send it my way!

I need that baking mat and the cookbook too! This swap has sure added to my Christmas wish list.

Little Sarah is so sweet and cute!

• andi_2006
    17 years ago

Those preserves look delicious! I love the KAF mat and the cookbook should be very useful for a busy mom! Sarah is adorable! :) Wonderful package, Robin!

• jessyf
    17 years ago

Great choices for Phyllis! I got through toddlerhood with a bunch of those '5 in 10' type books. And I know what yum you are in for having been a recipient of some of Robin's jams!

• lori316
    17 years ago

When I finally learn to can, I think the first thing I will make will be the apple pie jam (and the blueberry Jessy sent me). It sounds so good.

Those mats are great. I noticed it in the KA catalog too. What a good idea for baking with kids. I always move the cookies when the kids aren't looking too!

And that book is perfect for a busy mom - with such an adorable baby.

Sponsored
Dave Fox Design Build Remodelers
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars49 Reviews
Columbus Area's Luxury Design Build Firm | 17x Best of Houzz Winner!