SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
wishiwasinoz

My landscaping is $7-8k over budget (with a little drama). Ideas?

wishiwasinoz
10 years ago

We are building a 4,600 square foot house on an acre lot. The landscape designer I initially used made what I thought was a beautiful design (formal linear English garden in the front, very pretty & matches our home style). LD#1 knew our budget & came in about $10k over budget after it was said & done (this includes lighting & irrigation). We got her down a little to $8k over our budget, which is still nauseating. She is a small-time designer & really puts her heart into her work.

GC wanted another opinion from his regular landscape co. They are a very large company in town. LD#2 really blasted her design & choice of plants, lack of sod (with more pine straw in areas). They came back, & lo & behold, they are $7k over budget.

I honestly want to put their 2 designs in a blender & meld them together. LD#1 has no idea GC got a 2nd opinion, & I think would have extremely hurt feelings if we did not use her.

Another caveat, LD#2 quoted empire zoysia (48 pallets, Geez!) at $275/pallet installed, which seems outrageous. I made some calls & can get it down to $200/pallet installed with an instant savings of $3,600 (plus $5 back for each wooden pallet I return). Is it okay to have LD#2 back the sod out & I get that done on my own? Would a GC agree to this? To me, sod is a minor detail, as long as it has a good guarantee.

How do I navigate between these 2 subs? I think LD#2 generally offers more plants for the money, especially when I back the sod out. What do I do with LD#1? It is a small enough town that I don't want to go p!ssing her off (more so, I like her a lot & don't want to hurt her).

Amy thoughts? Suggestions? An extra $8k you want to throw this way?

Comments (18)