SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
john_ny_gw

Monitor/speaker question

john_ny
13 years ago

I had to buy a new monitor. This one came with built in speakers. It is an Acer P205H. When I first hooked up, I heard sound, but it wasn't loud enough, and I coldn't find any instructions on how to adjust it. On the bottom edge of the monitor, there are 5 little buttons. They are not marked as to what they are for. When you press any one of them, you get a little pop up with 5 little symbols. The first is a green circle with a white e in it. Next one is the word AUTO. Third is a box, with several lines in it (like sybolizing text) Then comes a speaker symbol with little plus and minus signs> The last one is the word, "Input". I figured the one with the speaker was for the sound. When I pressed that one again, I got a volume value, but when I tried I was only able to decrease it. Now the sound is off and I don't know how to get it back on.

Here is a link that might be useful: Buttons

Comments (41)

• bob414
    13 years ago

Have you checked the volume control in your control panel? Make sure the sound is not muted and turn it up to maximum. Number 2 on
    this page may help.

• DA_Mccoy
    13 years ago

Under the assumption that the audio worked properly before connecting to the new monitor it is my experience that a concern as you describe is normally created by improper connection or faulty jack plugs.

As we are all human, also be sure to triple check the mute, and all the sound slide bars available on the system. You never know.....sometimes.

DA

• Related Discussions

For the Monitors ~ Not a cactus Question

Q

Comments (2)
    BD, I think that if you use the 'Contact GW' link at the bottom of the main page, your request will get to the right people. I don't think that they peruse this place much (if at all) unless someone points outs something in a specific link.
    ...See More

Question re 4' speakers/subwoofer in Avalon

Q

Comments (13)
    Thanks guys. The Avalon is a '96. When we bought it used a few years ago (Toyota Certified of course), it had the original radio, speakers, and CD player. The CD player was not working very well, so we replaced it with an Alpine, but left the original speakers, as the vendor (the same one we are dealing with now....) said "your speakers are great and if I were you, I would keep them." We agreed, as the origial system sounded fantastic. Almost as good as my 7-speaker system in my new Lexus. I did listen to the Alpine speakers in the store prior to purchase, but they do sound very different in our car. Zero depth or bass, unless we turn it up to at least 2, which the vendor (and kid that installed it) recommended against. They said that that would eventually blow the speakers, since they are only 4" speakers. Of course I was clueless at the time about speaker sizes AND the sizes of speaker wells in autos. I just assumed and Alpine speaker is an Alpine speaker and trusted them to recommend the right ones, given my stated objective of replacing the blown speakers with something of equal quality. After I listend to the installed results and was disappointed, they explained the reason and indicated that to get the bass response we were looking for (geeze - we listen to jazz, folk/acoustic, classical, and a tiny bit of classic rock), they indicated a subwoofer mounted in the trunk would do the trick. Do you guys agree? Is it reasonable for me to ask them to actually hook one up and let me hear it before purchasing? This vendor has been good to deal with over the years and has always backed up their work and - at least up until now - given us good advice. I also happen to like the installer. Young kid, as they all are, but when I have questions, he takes me to his car and shows me what he is talking about - as we did when we bought the after market XM system. I don't really want to start over by going somewhere else, since we have spent so much $$ with them and this is a recent purchase. I believe that they owe it to us to help us achieve our originally stated objective and I think they will, if I get back there before too much more time passes - it has been about 3 weeks now, and I just want to do my homework here before going back to them for a resolution. Lynne
    ...See More

storing a monitor question

Q

Comments (3)
    I'm pretty sure that container ships crossing the Pacific in winter aren't heated but I'd be inclined to think that your monitor will be happier at temperatures where you are comfortable. Say 40ð to 100ðF.
    ...See More

Question: Television vs. Monitor?

Q

Comments (1)
    The main difference (originally) between "television" and "monitor" is a television has a built-in tuner to select broadcast and/or cable channels from a coaxial cable, and a monitor does not. A monitor simply accepts a video signal (composite, S-video, component) and displays it. Channel selection must be done via an external device such as a satellite tuner or a VCR. My 4-year-old Panasonic plasma panel would be considered a monitor. It does not have a coaxial input or a tuner. I selected channels (when I had cable) by using my VCR as a tuner. However, nowadays most all consumer-level display devices / televisions / monitors DO have a built-in tuner, so "television" vs. "monitor" may simply be a marketing term. Just make sure whatever units you are considering have a built-in tuner and can take whatever kind of wire or cable connection you have, and make your choice on which one fits your budget, has the features you want, best picture quality, etc.
    ...See More
  • mikie_gw
    13 years ago

That monitor had a driver file available. Maybe it might give you a small control program for the pc.

• morz8 - Washington Coast
    13 years ago

My Compaq monitor has built in speakers, my first that style. Start > Control Panel > Hardware and Sound > Sound

• john_ny
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thanks. I put the start up disk back in, and found a slider control to up the volume. I got it somewhat louder, (not as loud as I want) and now I can't find that control again.
    In the meantime, however, somehow the type size got small. E-mail is OK, but everything on the internet is small. The postings are OK if I set the percentage, in the lower right corner, at 125%, or more, but everything else, the toolbars, the favorites, at the left, and the icons, on the initial screen stay small. Does anyone know how to fix this? Thanks.

• mike_kaiser_gw
    13 years ago

The first thing you want to do is ensure you video settings are set to the correct resolution of the monitor. Unlike CRT monitors, LCD monitors have a fixed resolution that can not be change without whacking out the appearance of everything. The monitor's manual should provide that information.

There is a way to adjust the size of your desktop in Windows. The exact procedure vary slightly depending on the version of Windows.

• DA_Mccoy
    13 years ago

I again assume that your monitor speakers are connected singly to the system and then split when going to the monitor.

Pull the jack plug. If the plug is encased in plastic, no problem. If it is metal with a plastic "handle", is there a little metal washer-like separator around the base of the plug? I ask as those separators can break loose, come off the plug, and cause concerns.

Finally, are you certain you have the speakers not plugged into the earphone connector rather than the speaker connector? I've done it inadvertently and I am sure others have too.

DA

• john_ny
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thanks, people. Sorry, but I am not too adept at this stuff. (I came to this site, through Garden Web)
    Mike_K - According to the manual, the max resolution is 1600 x 900 @60Hz. I don't know how to find what my video settings are. I'm using Windows XP.
    DA - The cable for the sound has one pin on either end. I assume that both ends are the same, as the instructions didn't say that it had to be installed in a certain way. I pulled the one out of the computer and looked at it. There appear to be two of these little washer-like things on it, and both appear to be intact. There are four little holes in a row, on the back of the computer. One has a black ring around it, one has green, one has red, and the last has blue. I have the green plug in the green ring, so I assume that is correct.

By the way, I recently had the computer serviced, because it was acting up. The tech said the only thing he could do was wipe it clean, and start over. Some of the programs that I had were reinstalled and some were not. I noticed, after I got it home, that I had no sound. I was going to go back to the tech, but when I had to buy the new monitor (because the old one was really getting dim) I noticed that it also had speakers.
    I really liked the previous sound. It was Boston Acoustics Sound Blaster, But I noticed that it had only one of those washer-like things on the plug in pin.

• DA_Mccoy
    13 years ago

John,

Maybe I am just over looking it, and that would be my fault, did you have operational speakers before you purchased the new monitor? If so, did you use the cable you are now using? If so, have you tried that cable once again attached to your previous speakers?

Sometimes it is just the little things.

DA

• john_ny
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thanks, DA. Will try a few more things and advise of results in the AM.

• john_ny
    Original Author
    13 years ago

A few weeks ago I had to have the computer serviced. The tech told me that he would have to "wipe it clean", and start over. After I got it back home, I noticed that one of the things that he took off must have been the sound. About that time, I noticed that my monitor was getting dim; I would have to lighten many pictures, before I could see them. I had a couple of good coupons that were about to expire, so I decided to use them on the monitor. At the store I saw that the monitor had built in speakers. When I got it hooked up, I saw that the sound was not very loud. There is a sound control button on the bottom edge. When I pressed the button, I saw a little horizontal bar that was half shaded, and half clear. It also said, "VOLUME 50", so I assume it meant 50%. When I pressed the button again, it changed the volume, but I could only get it to go down. I thought maybe it would start back up again, once it got to the bottom, but it didn't. I had gone from low volume to no volume. I put the user manual disc in, and I could swear that there was a slider adjustment for the sound that was at zero. I pushed it up to about þ. I, probably, shold have pushed it all the way up, because it still isn't very loud. I put the disc in a couple more times, to try to push it up some more, but couldn't find the slider adjustment thing again. I don't know. Could it be that it only shows when the sound is off?

As I said, I had operational speakere, before I had the machine serviced, and they were very good ones. The quality was good, and I could get enough volume to rattle the walls, if I wanted. WHen I noticed I didn't have sound, after servicing, I ran the disc from the old sound system, but nothing happened. I am currently using the new cable that came with the monitor. The old cable is still hooked to the old speakers, but not plugged into the computer. I really would like to have the old system back because, to me, the ones on the monitor sound somewhat tinny, and not very loud. (Other people, on the internet, have said the same thing.)
    When I Googled the old ones, (Boston Accoustics BA735) I see I can download a driver. I wonder if that would help.

• bob414
    13 years ago

I would certainly try it. You may have lost sound when it was serviced because the tech didn't install the printer driver when he started over.

• john_ny
    Original Author
    13 years ago

bob414 - Did you make a mistake in your posting? You mention a printer driver. My printer works fine. I'm just wondering if downloading the driver from the internet would be any better than just using the start up disc.

• zep516
    13 years ago

john ny,

Google Troubleshoot sound in vista or XP what ever operating system yours is. Look for the Microsoft link. It will guide through connection issues all the way to device manger and the driver. It may also provide a Fixit for me, in that case you just run the fixit..

• zep516
    13 years ago

Tips for fixing common sound problems

The attatched link covers Vista,

Here is a link that might be useful: Sound issues Vista

• bob414
    13 years ago

Sorry John. Senior moment. I meant speaker driver.

• DA_Mccoy
    13 years ago

You can also go into the Windows on-board Help and use the key word "troubleshoot" (sans quotes).

DA

• jane__ny
    13 years ago

I was following this thread because I haven't been able to get sound on my computer. I also recently reinstalled the operating system. I followed Zeps link and clicked on 'fix it'. It's fixed! I am still in shock.

The problem apparently was that I needed to apply a default sound player, which must have been erased during the reinstall. It told me to pick a default (brought up 'sounds' in Control Panel) and I clicked on Soundblaster and the sound came on.

Thank you Zep. I have music again. This is the best forum ever!

Jane

• john_ny
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Unfortunately, the fix didn't work on mine. I get the message, "Troubleshooting is completed. However, we did not detect any issues common to the problem and, therefore, no fixes were applied."

• zep516
    13 years ago

I would forget the monitor speakers for now and focus on the Boston speakers so we all know what where dealing with.

What is the operating System so we know what that is?

Did you check the device manger for errors? The Microsoft Fixit would have though. Check it anyway for errors.

Click Start>click run> Copy this devmgmt.msc now paste it into the run box hit ok Once the device manger opens in the list look for Sound, Video and game controllers. See any errors? click the + sign next to it or arrow. The name of the sound device should be listed, right click on it and notice the options, it will also say it's working correctly if that's the case then it's not a driver issue, let us know.

• john_ny
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thanks, once again. It is my hope to get the Boston speakers back, and forget about the ones on the monitor, as they sound kind of crummy. My operating system is XP. I have a dental appointment right now, but as soon as I get back, I'll try what you suggest.

• zep516
    13 years ago

ok

When I first hooked up, I heard sound

That tells me the driver is in place, and the windows audio is running in services if either of the 2 items were a problem you would have never heard any sound at all. So as everyone's been suggesting it indicates a connection issue or a muted volume somewhere, Can you Google Master Volume setting in xp see what you find...

Stick with the Bostons like you had it, those monitor speakers are not very good at producing any kind of quality audio......

• john_ny
    Original Author
    13 years ago

When I ran Device Manager, I saw 4 things that looked like they could have anything to do with sound. They were: Audio Codecs; Creative SB Live! Value (WDM); Creative SB Live! Gameport; Legacy Audio Drivers. (SB Live is what I have, the SB meaning Sound Blaster) When I clicked on the + sign, on each, I got options: Update driver; Disable; Uninstall; Scan to hardware changes; Properties. When I clicked on Properties, for each of the four, I got a message that said, among other things, "The device is working properly."

• john_ny
    Original Author
    13 years ago

What I got when I ran Device Manager.

Here is a link that might be useful: Sound devices

• john_ny
    Original Author
    13 years ago

When I clicked on the 4 devices, I got this.

Here is a link that might be useful: Working properly

• zep516
    13 years ago

Hi john,

Creative SB Live! Value (WDM) That's the Sound, audio device. You say it's listed as working correctly soooo.. Right click on that anyway now choose uninstall when that's done reboot the computer and windows will reinstall the device driver. No guarantees though but lets try it. Then check sound maybe the best way to do that is put a music cd in or something...

Please tell me the Make and Model # of your computer that way if we need to try and reinstall the Creative SB Live (wdm) we can go to your computers manufactures site instead of the creative site.

• john_ny
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Did what you said. The device was uninstalled, and, when I rebooted, it said it was installing and, when I checked the device manager, it was back, but still no noise.
    Computer make and model: GatewayMini Tower TB3 Performance 600. It's old; manufactured in Dec. 1989.

• zep516
    13 years ago

I don't know. The computer is 21 years old! Pentium 3 processor,500MHZ + it's a mini. My next suggestion was to just go get a sound card and install it but finding one especially for a mini and a computer that age might be difficult.

I still don't think it's a driver issue, because you did hear sound at one point. Not sure how to proceed.

• john_ny
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thank you for all your help, Zep. I guess I'll just take it back to the guy who serviced it, and took the sound off, in the first place.
    Let me clarify a few things.
    I had Boston Acoustics Sound Blaster from when I first got the computer.
    I, recently, brought the tower in for service, because it was acting up. (running slow, cursor freezing up, etc.) The tech said he had to "wipe it clean". He took everything off it, and put some things back.
    A while after getting it back home, my wife noticed there was no sound. Apparently, one of the things he took off, and didn't put back, was the sound.
    Then, a week or two after that, in something completely separate, I replaced the monitor, because the old one was getting dim. After getting the new monitor home, I discovered it had built in speakers.
    In your Nov. 29 post, you quote me as saying, "When I first hooked up, I heard sound..." What I meant here was, when I first hooked the new monitor up, and had nothing to do with the Sound Blaster speakers.
    However, after listening to the quality of the monitor speakers, and having trouble getting enough volume, I decided I didn't really want to use them, and wanted to try to get the SB back.
    Also, I made a mistake. The computer was made in 1999, not 89. They call it a "mini", but the tower is 19 inches high.

• zep516
    13 years ago

Ok fair enough......

If the driver for sound was missing device Manager would show an error. I guess you could search for the driver and try installing it, that's what I'd do now....

Lets try the Gateway site first here is a link. What your looking for is the sound / Audio driver for that model. See if you have any luck. The site is asking for the serial # I don't have. It's best to get the sound / audio driver from there. The other option if you can't find it there is to go directly to Creative.com and search for Creative SB Live Value (WDM). If all this turns up nothing, you may still have the option to purchase a cheap Sound Card that you could insert into the mother board.

Google Sound card.

I'm going to look around for driver in other areas, I recommend you stay with the sites I gave you. Searching for drivers always brings not so good Google links....

Here is a link that might be useful: Gateway link

• zep516
    13 years ago

Here is the recommend driver,
    This package supports the following driver models:

* Game Port for Creative SB Live!
    * Creative SB Live! (WDM)
    * Creative SB Live! Value (WDM)
    * Creative SB Live! Series (WDM)
    * Creative SB Live! series(WDM)
    * Creative Sound Blaster PCI512
    * Creative SB Live! series (WDM)

Click where it says Download now Download the driver to the desktop, the double click it.

Here is a link that might be useful: Creative SB Live! Value (WDM) Driver for XP.

• john_ny
    Original Author
    13 years ago

I don't know how to thank you enough, Zep. I can't believe the time you have spent on this. I will try the things you suggest, in the AM, but right now, as I mentioned before, I'm not to adept at these things; I came here from Garden Web, and I have to finish protecting my banana plants for the winter.

• zep516
    13 years ago

You're very welcome,

Wrap the entire plant. Cut away any unhealthy or dying lower leaves. Wrap chicken wire loosely around the plant. Fill the area between the plant and the chicken wire with dry straw or horticultural fleece.

HA HA I know nothing about banana plants........

Here is a link that might be useful: care-banana-plants-over-winter.

• john_ny
    Original Author
    13 years ago

OK, Zep. You've got the banana care nailed! A couple of ornamental (you don't want to eat the fruit, because it's full of seeds) varieties can survive in cold areas, like here in NY, with that kind of care. Edible varieies, around here, have to come inside for the winter.
    Now to the subject at hand: I got nowhere with the Creative link. I just got an error, HTTP 404 Not Found. When I clicked on, "Publisher: Creative", I got to a place where there were so many of these things that I didn't know which one was the right one.
    At the Gateway link, they asked for the serial number. (0016653113) When I gave them that, and clicked on a few other things that they told me to do, I got this instruction: "Insert System Restoration Kit Drivers CD in the System Restoration Kit Window." I found the System Restoration CD, and I guess there's really only one place I can insert it. On the disc itself, it says to reinstall some old Windows operating systems, start the PC with the disc inserted, and to install system software and drivers, insert the disc while the PC is on.
    So, I guess I start up the PC, and put the disc in. If I remember correctly, from the few times I have used any restorations, long ago, you restore to a certain date. A date, when I still had sound, was before I took the 'puter in for service. If I restore to a date like that, while restoring my sound, am I not also restoring the problems that prompted me to take the machine in for service, in the first place?

• john_ny
    Original Author
    13 years ago

OK, Zep. You've got the banana care nailed! A couple of ornamental (you don't want to eat the fruit, because it's full of seeds) varieties can survive in cold areas, like here in NY, with that kind of care. Edible varieies, around here, have to come inside for the winter.
    Now to the subject at hand: I got nowhere with the Creative link. I just got an error, HTTP 404 Not Found. When I clicked on, "Publisher: Creative", I got to a place where there were so many of these things that I didn't know which one was the right one.
    At the Gateway link, they asked for the serial number. (0016653113) When I gave them that, and clicked on a few other things that they told me to do, I got this instruction: "Insert System Restoration Kit Drivers CD in the System Restoration Kit Window." I found the System Restoration CD, and I guess there's really only one place I can insert it. On the disc itself, it says to reinstall some old Windows operating systems, start the PC with the disc inserted, and to install system software and drivers, insert the disc while the PC is on.
    So, I guess I start up the PC, and put the disc in. If I remember correctly, from the few times I have used any restorations, long ago, you restore to a certain date. A date, when I still had sound, was before I took the 'puter in for service. If I restore to a date like that, while restoring my sound, am I not also restoring the problems that prompted me to take the machine in for service, in the first place?

• zep516
    13 years ago

I would try the driver I gave you 6 posts above this one just click on the provided link where it says Creative SB Live! Value (WDM) Driver for XP. On that cnet page click where it says download, try that first.

You shouldn't need to to a System Restoration using a disk. But you could try a System Restore from with in Windows and that does not require a disk + if you did not like the restore point or there was a general problem with it you always have the option to undo the System Restore yo just did. I would certainly try it if the driver download fron cnet does not provide any results. Here's how to do a System restore from with in windows.

Click > Start > All Programs > Accessories > System Tools > System Restore, click System Restore and choose a restore point before the sound problem, remember you can undo the restore point if you would need too.

• john_ny
    Original Author
    13 years ago

The link to the cnet thing, Creative SB Live! Value (WDM) Driver for XP, is the one where I said I kept getting the error message, when I clicked on it.

• bob414
    13 years ago

It seems to me that you may need the driver patch on this creative support page. You might search for the driver it patches on your computer. It's listed as SBLW-XPWEB-W3-US. Copy and paste that in the search box on your computer and if it finds it download and install the driver patch.

• zep516
    13 years ago

See if any luck with bob's advice. You're right the cnet link is broken. I still don't think it's a driver issue just wanted to go through the motions. Being the age of the computer it appears difficult to find one. I think at this point if the System Restore does no good or Bob414's advice, it's time to take it in. The other option as I have mentioned before is to simply install a sound card see link for that. Being the age of the computer it may not have a PCI slot, how do you find out? Download System Information for windows (SIW) Run the program on the left side click mother board, this will have a listing called System slots,Click that it will say if it's PCI if not PCI You just use the other type of sound card. Here's link for that program System Information for Windows

That System Information is a great tool it has everything in it except how to grow banana plants.

Here is a link that might be useful: Sound card.

• john_ny
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thanks for the help. I spoke to the tech who worked on it, and I'm just going to bring it back to him. It did have the sound right up to when he worked on it.

Have a nice holiday.

• john_ny
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thanks for the help. I spoke to the tech who worked on it, and I'm just going to bring it back to him. It did have the sound right up to when he worked on it.

Have a nice holiday.