SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
liesl13

Advice needed on cooktop and oven beneath

Leslie M
11 years ago

Hi,
I have a 16 year old maytag black glass gas cooktop and electric convection wall oven beneath. The wall oven electronic control panel is shot and if it is available, will cost at least $350 to fix. Doesn't seem worth it, since it is so old. In the next couple of years I had planned to replace them, redo the laminate counters and sink and kitchen floor, but our daughter got married this year, so....

I was thinking of replacing these with a slide-in but we are tall and our countertop is higher than normal. Because they have to be compatible, I think I'll have to replace both oven and countertop. I looked yesterday and Jenn-Air has some, although they don't go with my microwave and dishwasher (Frigidaire and GE, respectively, much newer than 15 years) and would run about $3300, more than I really want to spend. The cutout for my cooktop can probably be enlarged--most cooktops now seem to be bigger. My oven is probably as large as it can get. My cherry cabinets were made locally, so I can probably get pieces made to make the oven opening smaller if need be.

So, should I try to use Frigidaire, in black, so all the brands are the same? Does that matter? I feel constrained to use black, but maybe I could use a combination of stainless and black? I don't want to spend for the top of the line, but would like a well functioning and nice looking line.

All this, just in time for Christmas! I don't have a contractor yet, either. Any suggestions would be very welcome,
thanks.

Comments (4)