SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
mdev_gw

Builder wants final payment before house is done

mdev
14 years ago

Unbelievable- the builder is testing my mental fortitude and the number of different ways that I can say "No." They are giving me every song and dance in the book as to why I should give them the balance due (~12% of build) before they complete their work. Furthermore they are trying to take advantage of the fact that we are young and this is a cash job- so no messing with a bank for payment.

We ironed out the punch list (which included some major issues) back in July which explains why the amount withheld is so high. Things like glazing my cabinets, refinishing the 1st floor, completing siding, fix well pump issues, final grade, install hardpack driveway, etc. About 80% of this work has been done since then, mostly in the last 2 weeks because they're been dragging their feet with our job.

Knowing that we were holding 12%, my DH and I have been wondering when they would 1) want their money and 2) finish the job. We initially thought, "Hey, guess they are loaded and don't need the money as they were in no rush to finish." After we moved in July 4th, they disappeared for 6-7 weeks or so. For your amusement, here are their various attempts at collecting payment- don't worry, we're not paying them until it is 100% done.

"All my other customers would go ahead and pay us" aka "You're mean."

"We don't want to take out a line of credit. The subs need to be paid and this isn't fair to them." aka "You're a deadbeat."

"You're holding back money while you've got us working on warranty items- meanwhile, I can't pay my guys." aka "You're manipulative."

#3 isn't true and I called them on it. I've put in writing (and copied our lawyer) the fact that the issue isn't money- it's finishing up the job. I've told them a dozen times I will write them a check the MOMENT the house is done. Furthermore, my point all along has been....if you're this slow when I owe you money, what's going to happen when I don't owe you any money and there is work left to be done????

I'm sorry if this turned into a bit of a rant...We have three painters working on some final things and I went downstairs and found one of them standing 100% on my granite peninsula. We already had to have them repaired once b/c someone stood on them- it's like they fell out of the dumb tree and hit every branch on the way down or something.

Comments (12)

Sponsored
The Creative Kitchen Company
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars47 Reviews
Franklin County's Kitchen Remodeling and Refacing Professional