SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
shiltsy

Another thought on the architect

shiltsy
9 years ago

Really appreciate everyone's feedback on my architect question the other day (talk me out of using this architect). We are going to use a trusted realtor on our new home build. She has been in the industry forever and is well known in the community. We used her to purchase our current home and she was outstanding. I questioned whether to even use a realtor, but she made it clear that she'd be at every single meeting, reviewing contracts and working on our behalf every step of the way. Based on our experience and her reputation I believe her.

There are a couple of home builders in the area that meet our criteria. They have outstanding references, have been in business for 30+ years and have a reputation for attention to detail and strong communication. As I was discussing the architect situation with our realtor she said that the builder has two architects that they use. Our goal is to find one of their builds that closely matches our requirements and then use an architect to tweak to our specifications.

If we go that route (as opposed to using an architect separately), obviously the builder won't let us take their plans out to bid. That concerned me and I told the realtor that could really open us up to paying more than necessary. She said that the couple of top builders we're looking at will charge around 15% and can be expected to come in with competitive bids (as long as we're good with 15%).

Does this seem reasonable? I know all the architects on the forum will come out of the wood work, but since we plan to base our plan off an existing structure I just can't see paying $20k+ for an independent architect and going out to bid. There are only a couple builders I would consider anyway, so not sure how competitive that bid process would be.

Comments (23)