SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
livvysmom

My new wok -- I am steaming, not stir-frying

livvysmom
19 years ago

I bought the 14" Joyce Chen carbon steel flat-bottomed wok. I believe I have it properly seasoning because so far nothing has stuck and it has not rusted. It is a nice wok except for one irritating thing; it is supposed to be flat-bottomed but still wobbles on my smoothop electric stove. I use the handle to keep it flat while cooking the best I can.

Anyhow, last night I made cashew chicken. It was delicious; the vegetables where perfectly cooked and the chicken melted in your mouth.

The vegetables were very easy to stir fry and turned out well. However, I felt more like I steamed the chicken then stir-fried. I added oil to the hot wok, waited for it to smoke and then added only half the chicken. It sputtered and sizzled for a few seconds then silence; it seemed to be cooking in the liquid at the bottom of the wok. The chicken was slightly frozen when I added it (isn't it supposed to be?). Also, my recipe said to toss the cut up chicken with 1 T soy sauce and cornstarch (should I have drained it before adding it to the wok?).

I am using a burner on my smoothtop that I consider to be a very "hot" burner. It boils water very quickly and doesn't have much of a simmer at all.

Any suggestions would be appreciated. Maybe I just have to wait for my smoothtop to croak so I can get the dual fuel range of my dreams??

Comments (13)

Sponsored
RTS Home Solutions
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars3 Reviews
BIA of Central Ohio Award Winning Contractor