SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
ilmbg

deleting addresses of others on email

ilmbg
15 years ago

I tried to search, as I am sure it has been asked, but didn't put the right words in, I guess.

When I get an email from a couple people, they have not deleted all the maill addresses from before- sometimes there are many.

I can highlight the addresses, then 'delete'. Is there a better way/ I don't want to have my address sent all over by my friends/relatives.

thanks

Comments (26)

• ravencajun Zone 8b TX
    15 years ago

that was actually a tip of mine that was used on Corrine's blog this month since it is cyber security month. Here is the link to the blog article.
    Cyber Security Awareness Tip of the Day: October 5

the better way is to simply hilight and copy the body of the email into a brand new email message with no other addresses on it and then you use the BCC feature to address it so that no ones address appears on it.

On an existing email that you just wish to forward you must do it manually and remove all the addresses from the email.

I would do what I suggest in the blog article and send the info to anyone that is not using BCC so that they can understand how unsafe it is to do that and that if they can not do that then to please not include your email address on any future forwarded emails that show your email address. On the blog article are the links which are good ones to pass on to those that do not know how to or simple do not use BCC. It is your security at risk so you should be direct about your desires.

• stargazzer
    15 years ago

Raven, are they completely hidden with BCC? I asked a couple of friends to use BCC so my addy wouldn't be shown and it doesn't show now, but my nickname does. When I right click on my nickname/properties, it shows my addy. I suspect they are still not using BCC.

I don't get much email anymore because I didn't notify everyone when I changed servers. LOL I get tired of the forwards without even a "hi, how are ya?"

• Related Discussions

Need the e-mail address of someone I previously traded with

Q

Comments (1)
    Alexis, Did you try to email him from here? https://auth.gardenweb.com/members/orchidnick Carolyn
    ...See More

spam email....from my address

Q

Comments (12)
    DA, no worries. Done the procrastinating thing myself before posting then find I am behind. Always better to have multiple answers as it helps give the original poster confidence perhaps. Fruitjarfla, I am not at all sure you are gaining anything by that action - assuming you rarely view the Spam box. Homebound was placed on alert as soon as the self addressed email arrived. Your method eliminates that advantage I would think.
    ...See More

Change Email Address

Q

Comments (4)
    You don't say if this is your main email account in Outlook Express and set up with your internet provider or if it is webmail with Hotmail, Yahoo, MSN or the like. If webmail simply abandon the address, there are no ill effects apart from regulars not finding you unless you notify them. If this is your internet providers address it is a bit harder because you account is tied to that address. Also if this is the main one you should never ever use it to sign up at places online, you never know what they will do with it. Create a web mail account for everything and everybody except family and friends. If this is your internet providers address never click on emails asking them to remove you because that has alerted them to a real address and they will likely sell it to others. Never open unwanted mail because some of that can contain coding to notify the sender you have opened it. Remove the preview pane if you are using it, this is considered the same as opening the email. To close the preview pane in Outlook Express open it, click View, click Layout... In the new window remove the check mark half way down where it says 'Show preview pane'. Click Apply/OK.
    ...See More

second e-mail address

Q

Comments (5)
    It look me a while to figure out who mystic and bubbles were...more coffee! How are you accessing these two accounts -- desktop mail software (e.g., Outlook) or online. If the latter, are they from the same provider (e.g., Hotmail)?
    ...See More
  • Chemocurl zn5b/6a Indiana
    15 years ago

LOL I get tired of the forwards without even a "hi, how are ya?"

Me too. I seldom ever bother to take the time to open them.

When I right click on my nickname/properties, it shows my addy. I suspect they are still not using BCC.
    I suspect they aren't using the BCC either. On the ones I receive in where they have used the BCC line, the To line shows as blank, with nothing there.

Sue

• stargazzer
    15 years ago

thanks Sue, Sometimes I feel no one likes me because I don't get many emails like I used to, but maybe they just don't like my rules, which is fine with me. LOL

15 years ago

Sometimes I feel no one likes me because I don't get many emails like I used to
    If it will make you feel any better, I can email you every so often...lol. I see though that you don't have an email link on your GW Member Page...so I can't do that.

Hey, fwiw...I would have NO problem with your rules.

Sue

• stargazzer
    15 years ago

(:o)) @ Sue

Thanks for the offer, poor me.

I didn't remember how I set it up.

15 years ago

I didn't remember how I set it up.

Here is a canned message I often post to new traders on the trading forums who have no member page email link.

To set up your email link, just go to the bottom on any page here, and click on Member Pages
    Then click on Edit your Personal Information, Page, and Preferences
    You will then probably be asked to login in again.
    Then check the box Allow other users to send you email via forms at our site.

That will place a link on your member page, making it handy for members (potential traders) to reach you in the future.

While there editing you might want to also place your state abbreviation in the one box provided for garden zone and location. (see I am zone 5/6 S In) It is beneficial info to have when trading for many reasons. By putting the state abbreviation in your zone box, it will be listed in your Member Page, and it will also automatically be displayed each time you post to one of the garden forums.

If you get active on some of the Exchanges, you will get lots of good emails for trading.

Sue...resident busy body at the Seed and Plant Exchange Forums.

• shaddy101
    15 years ago

You know gals, i have sent and sent, explained and explained to those that do this forward thing with all the addresses, etc., they STILL persist in doing, don't they know what they are doing?
    I don't reply to them either, but what does a person do after so many tries?
    I can skip the email also, if they don't want to "speak" to me, or at least acknowledge my existence, they can forget about sending their dumb forwards too.
    Thanks for letting me vent.

15 years ago

I told a friend who has AOL email how to send a BCC and not forward all those addresses. Well she is challenged, so when I was at her house, I attempted to try and show her how to delete them when she forwarded on an email. If I remember correctly, (don't hold me to this) I couldn't get them deleted the usual way.

So...she is still forwarding all those addys around, mine included probably. I give up...sigh.

Sue

• stargazzer
    15 years ago

Sue, I made the necessary changes to my profile, but I can't find a place to save.

Shaddy, sometimes I click reply to all and show them their addresses. One man replied and wanted to know how I got his address. When I explained he apolgised and said he would use the BCC.

• stargazzer
    15 years ago

Sue, I had to log out, back in, then change my preferences.I think that fixed it.

• ravencajun Zone 8b TX
    15 years ago

My suggestion is to start not just sending an email asking them to not use your email in forwarded emails if they are not going to use BCC but to also put the links to those sites that I listed in that blog post, they are explicit and detail why you should not do it and how to use BCC. If they do not get the hint the only other thing you can do is just say please removed my email address from your address book if you can not honor my requests to keep my info private, or tell them you have changed email and that address is not good anymore and you are not giving out the new one.

I have had one of my long time friends that would send me 10 or more a day all with multiple forwards tons of peoples email addresses on them, I asked many times,sent her the joke ones that are really a big hint in a nice format but still she did it till I sent her the email with my post in that blog. The next day she sent the emails but no addresses were showing! I think maybe I made progress.
    You may have to put it to them in terms they can better understand like would you like to have your personal secrets or info spread out over the internet? if no then please stop spreading mine out there by using my email address on forwarded email with out my permission.

• owbist
    15 years ago

This is an interesting thread but rather sad. You can only brow beat your friends so much before they are no longer your friends. I too get these emails with hordes of addresses and have tried 'educating' the senders. No such luck!

So I accept what they do, have a laugh at the emails, delete the rubbish but clean up and pass along the good ones. By stopping your incoming you are losing contact perhaps and the chance to have a smile. Many of the PowerPoint emails are incredibly beautiful, I would not like to lose those.

Just my thoughts of course ;-)

• stargazzer
    15 years ago

I do like smiles, and if they are cleaned up I reply to them with thanks. I have a high school friend who searches for neat things to send to family and friends. He doesn't say high in everyone, but he writes me at least once a month and sometimes more often. And some senders are just acquaintances, friends understand and don't keep sending things you don't want.

• ravencajun Zone 8b TX
    15 years ago

Agree Owbist it is a thing we must weigh out, but for some people privacy is of utmost importance, and in some cases jobs and livelihood can be at stake.
    I prefer no one use my email address with disregard but after one or 2 comments or links are sent I too give up. I have not lost any of my friends, in fact most are very appreciative of the help and guidance because they truly did not know the problem and that this was the reason they themselves were getting so much spam, so in effect if they can learn the proper use it will definitely benefit them also, I had to learn it. The degree each person goes is of course completely up to them.
    My email addy has been around for so long I can not possibly hope to keep it under lock and key LOL
    But I do have certain ones that are!

I enjoy the chuckles too, and when they take the time to actually say something along with it that is also nice. I always try to add some personal tidbits when I email, I like to actually hear from people too.

Everyone of course has the right to want their privacy protected especially in these times, so each has to determine the extent they are willing to go to, and respect plays a huge part in this battle. I respect my friends/colleagues so I definitely would honor their requests if able and hope for the same in return.
    Outcomes do vary LOL

There are instances however where it weighs in much higher, as an example I am a medical professional, in our training of the utmost importance is the protection of private information, to me there is no distinction, private info is private info and that includes an email address, my husband is the CFO of a major company, I would never send him an email from one of my regular email accounts or forward him an email or use his address on a forwarded one, just imagine if somehow that email address got on one of those lists and he was sent some type of inappropriate "joke" things like that have to be considered because actual jobs can be involved these days. Possibly it has to do with how we were trained to handle and respect private info. I feel that if given the privilege to have someones private info I should honor it.

What really is sad, and this is a true account, is that one gal on another forum I was on had her email address end up on a forwarded email list and long story short she did lose a job of over 30 years, her life was wrecked. and even worse she had just lost her husband unexpectedly to illness.

15 years ago

Shaddy, sometimes I click reply to all and show them their addresses. One man replied and wanted to know how I got his address. When I explained he apolgised and said he would use the BCC.
    That's good...will have to remember that...and include some links too about using BCC and the dangers of showing one's addy to the world via all the forwarded, forwarded, forwarded, etc emails.

Sue

• stargazzer
    15 years ago

Raven you said that very well. When I got my first PC in 1996, I loved the forwards and worked a lot of them up with clip art, played with fonts etc.. I was not online then and it gave me something to do. When my husband was hospitalized I would take a batch and leave them at the nurses station for their break time reading. One day I burst out laughing in the computer room and my husband came and asked, "what's going on in here?" I would show him what I had laughed at and he would just grunt and walk away. He rarely laughed or found humor in anything. LOL

• ilmbg
    Original Author
    15 years ago

raven- yes, that was what I was thinking of, thank you.
    I do not use OE very much- I would rather use Yahoo. I find that I can't delete the addresses by highlighting them and then deleting. Will I do this BCC with Yahoo also?

Now, I have mentioned the security risk to two people- my cousin, and a friend. Both retired.
    Their reply to me was-'I.ve been doing it this way for years and nothin' has ever happened to me- I've never had a virus'.
    One, the cousin, has had to send his Dell back twice- about 3 -4 years apart as I remember it. His computer was totally gone- he lost all pictures, folders, addresses- everything. Couldn't this possibly been a virus?
    I guess as long as nobody gets his 401k, raids his bank account, or credit card, he thinks he is safe. Maybe he is, I don't know- but what little I have, I want to keep.
    As far as the other poster, he is my friends husband, and HE KNOWS EVERYTHING!!(he woulda' been a divorced guy many, many moons ago if married to me.... hmmm, probably dead and buried in the cellar..)
    What can I say to these guys- just because you haven't been 'hiy' yet, does not mean it won't happen in the future??

Thanks for the site.

• ravencajun Zone 8b TX
    15 years ago

well you know what they say you can not fight ignorance!
    I would guess that his pc was infested but he would never admit that even if he knew it was probably LOL

You can use BCC with every email program I have ever seen. Some you have to find it though which is stupid for them not to put it out there to easily find. Some you do have to go to settings or options or preferences most have a faq or help file that probably tells you.

15 years ago

I just got a forwarded, forwarded, forwarded, etc email. I'll bet there was a hundred or more email addys in full site.

I was going to send it to everyone, suggesting that they use the BCC (Blind carbon copy) line when doing mass mailings, but my hotmail didn't like the format of some of the names. I then decided to not send 'my' message to everyone, but just to the ones in the many from lines.

One came back to me, as it was rejected by Earthlink, unless I filled out a form and got approval from the person I emailed. Needless to say, I did not fill out the form...JERK! He can dish it out, but he can't take it.

I wonder if he gets some sort of a notification that my email addy was attempting to email him. Does anyone have/use Earthlink emails with those filters?

Sue

• ilmbg
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Oh crap- it isn't working! I sent myself some of the emails that had all the addresses on them- and they were still there!
    I have two emails- OE and Yahoo. It didn't work with either.
    OE- I did just as it said: forward/view/headers/put addresses in the BCC line/send

Yahoo: forward/makes 'show BCC'./put address in BCC line/send

What is wrong?
    I sure can't get them to stop if I can't!

15 years ago

The addresses that you mailed it to that you had put in the BCC line were not showing, were they?

You are then asking how to send the email on to someone else without it showing all of the forwarded, forwarded addresses...right?

What I do with Hotmail, is do the forward, fill in the addys in the appropriate lines, and then drop down to where I would start to type my message. I then hold down on the delete key, until all of all of the groups of addys have been deleted. Sometimes there will be a line (as in a straight line) that won't delete for me. Once I have all the addys deleted, I then add a short message to the email, and send it on.

Sue

• ravencajun Zone 8b TX
    15 years ago

yes on some I get I have to only delete one section of the email addys, that show up in the actual email window with the body of the email, at a time. It is like if you get too many it won't delete them but if you break it up it will. I get some that half the page are blocks of addresses so those do take some effort.

ilmbg when you added the addresses to the BCC line as you were typing or adding them they will show, are you saying that when you got the email you still could see those listed on the BCC line of the header of your email? Mine default to the TO: line so I have to remember to click the BCC: line each time.

• ilmbg
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Yea!! Chemcurl- I was able to delete the address doing it little by little. I think, if I tried to delete more than one at a time that is when it didn't work. Thanks

raven- I did put the address on the bcc- I checked- I will try again to see if I can do it the 'bcc' way again...
    raven- you were frustrated because I could not explain what I was trying to tell you regarding what was going wrong with me/computer. I am not misleading you- have never meant to do that- it is hard to discribe a problem when I don't have a clue what the computer is telling me. It is also hard to give you exact wording or numbers, because I have to take so much pain medication- it makes my short-term memory VERY short. I don't remember the word/letters on the page that I am having trouble with when I am on another page wring to you. Maybe I should write it down on paper first, but sometimes am not able to get up to get one. Sorry that I am hard to understand sometimes. If I could split the screen in half- see what is going wrong on the left half of the screen, and be able to post to you on the right hand side of the screen!
    Thanks all.

• ravencajun Zone 8b TX
    15 years ago

oh no,I was not frustrated with you I was just trying to explain to you what it was that was happening and what it was called so that if you were to get help you would know what to say, trying to avoid someone going down the wrong path in search of the cure. I know it is difficult to try to speak in those terms when not in that field. I never thought you were misleading me so don't worry about that. Believe me it is not always easy for me either so I hear ya there! The fact you are at least trying to figure things out is a big plus.

15 years ago

If I could split the screen in half- see what is going wrong on the left half of the screen, and be able to post to you on the right hand side of the screen!

Ilmbg,
    Are you familiar with using multiple tabs or windows? I'm guessing that maybe you aren't.
    If you have multiple tabs open, you can go back and forth between the two and it is almost as good as having a split screen.

I'm so glad to hear you were able to delete the addresses little by little anyway...as I do it. It might take a little bit, but I don't really forward on that many things. I have found that the easiest way for me to do something, may not be the easiest way for everyone, but if I know how to do it 'my' way, then 'my' way is how it will be done. I'm like an old dog that doesn't even want to learn any new tricks, other than those I 'have' to know.

Sue