SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
rivkadr

Can network cards go bad?

rivkadr
15 years ago

I have a Dell Inspiron B130 laptop (cheap but functional). Up until a week or so ago, it was working fine, but now all of a sudden, a few minutes after I start the computer, I lose my internet connection. I can get maybe 3 minutes of internet surfing in, and then boom -- I lose connection, every time.

- the home network in general is working fine. My husband can be logged in to his laptop at the same time, and the internet will be working just fine for him.

- as I stated, this was all working just fine for me up until about a week ago. I have made no changes to my computer that would account for this problem.

- The truly odd thing is that the network display thing in the systray that shows how many bars of connection you have shows that I'm connected. And the wireless connector utility will also tell me that I'm connected. Yet, if I try to use the internet...no joy. I get "pages not found" etc.

This computer is a few years old, and the wireless card seems to be internal (i.e. not something I can just pop out and look at). What do you think the problem could be? Any suggestions on how to resolve the situation?

(and in the amount of time it took me to type all this out, I lost connection, and had to restart. Grr!!!)

Comments (10)

Sponsored
Dave Fox Design Build Remodelers
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars49 Reviews
Columbus Area's Luxury Design Build Firm | 17x Best of Houzz Winner!