SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
hzdeleted_20121609

Capitol Culinarian 36" initial observations.

User
9 years ago

I was looking for a rangetop that had more power than my GE Profile and would cook evenly. Additionally, it had to handle a wok. I took delivery of my Capital Culinarian about a month ago and it was just installed.

So far, I am very pleased.

My first meal on the rangetop was a wok dinner. I have always been frustrated using a wok on closed burner ranges as either there was not enough heat, or when there was, it was in a ring around the middle of the wok due to the size of the burner and where the flames were positioned.

I bought my rangetop at Eurostoves, and they have developed a cast iron dedicated wok grate that works with the way they have designed their burners. I was very surprised when I did my "test" dish to get a feel for the heat. I actually had to turn the heat down. For example, I wanted to cook carrots for 3 minutes. Within a minute I was actually toasting the edges of the carrots. Same thing as onions. I have never had to turn the heat down, that is how powerful and well designed this stove is. I have absolute total control over cooking.

Also, I could actually touch the top edge of the wok and it was cool to the touch. Previously, I had to use oven mitts to hold the wok handle, but with the Culinarian, the heat was massive in the bottom center of the wok, which is exactly where it should be.

I was able to properly season my wok, and now when I wipe oil over it after cooking, the surface is perfectly slick and smooth, and that sticky layer of partially burnt food and sauce is history.

Other initial hits. The fit and finish is very good, all of the burners lined up with the grates. All the burners light easily and I really like that the sparker is in the middle of the burner ring out of the way.

I also bought one of the exhaust fan units that Treavor at Eurostoves recommended. I can now see why as there is a lot of smoke with wok cooking and it now does not fill up the kitchen. When I re-seasoned my wok, I had to burn off all of the stucky old food that built up and that got totally smokey. After I was done, I asked my wife if she smelled anything funny upstairs, and there was nothing.

So, if you are looking for an open burner stove, I heartily suggest taking a look at the Capital Culinarian and that you also go to Eurostoves and talk to Trevor. He is very knowledgeable and will definitely help you out. They also have a warranty on what they sell and will not leave you in the lurch customer service wise.

As I use the stove, I'll post more impressions, and when the contractors finish the kitchen, I'll post a few pictures.

Comments (5)