SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
ellekay_gw

struggling with fridge decision: Miele or not?

ellekay
12 years ago

I am so grateful for your input--

I'm redoing a kitchen and I'm struggling with which fridge to buy. The space is 36" counter depth. My husband is fancier than I am and thinks we need a "higher end" fridge, and I guess I have been really annoyed over the years with frozen cottage cheese and poor distribution of temp. Also it is a very open living space so the fridge is visible from LR, DR and it is a very modern space. I am NOT getting a subzero because I have just had extremely bad experiences with quality in two different homes.

So, I love the look of the Miele. I also love the quality of all the interior components- seems extremely well made. The Liebherr seems like a fairly similar much cheaper alternative (and I think it is also dual compressor and does that really matter???) but the interior components seemed kind of crappy. I wouldn't do the french door, but Liebherr has a single door 36" now too. We have budgeted for the Miele, but it is shocking to spend $8K on a fridge. Besides SZ is there something else I should consider?

I do think it's kind of annoying to bend down for the freezer, but I don't want to lose the pantry space I would give up for a larger (side by side) fridge. I will have an extra fridge/freezer in the basement so I think 36" should be fine (though I do have 3 young boys...am I making a mistake there?)

priorities:

energy efficiency

layout and cubic feet

freezer drawer (3 is nice)

no water/ice on outside

style- I like that the Miele has no branding on it and is sleek looking

Thank you so much.

Comments (13)